Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flowerdealer
HDMI
Views: 289
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo C330: Unusable network speeds if bluetooth is enabled

I've managed to replicate this 100%. If bluetooth is enabled, download speeds (using speedteset.net) top out at around just 1.6mbps. If disabled, at around 100mbps. I test network speed with Steam Link, and if disabled, I can stream up to 90mbps. If enabled, at around 10mbps. Just got this chromebook, and this is a major deal breaker for me, as my plan was to use it mostly for game streaming through Moonlight and Steam Link. I can't believe that a modern device would have this kind of issue. 

My initial test was with a 5ghz band network. When testing with 2.4ghz, I'm getting a much better result, around 30mbps, but still much lower than I'm getting with bluetooth disabled (around 60mbps). I've tried disabling the newblue flag and it made no difference either. I have an a68u Asus router. None of my Windows PC's, Android Tablets, Android Phones, Macs or Ipad exhibit this issue.

flowerdealer
HDMI
Views: 267
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo C330: Unusable network speeds if bluetooth is enabled

Tested at work, and same result, so it's not my network. 

JackFrost007
Blue Screen Again
Views: 221
Message 3 of 8

I am too facing the same issue with my Lenovo S330. Unusable wifi when bluetooth is switched on. I cannot use bluetooth devices like a mouse and headphones while browsing the internet due to this issue. Lenovo please fix ASAP. Serious issue.

flowerdealer
HDMI
Views: 193
Message 4 of 8

I've identified the issue on my case. If a bluetooth mouse pointer device is paired, but NOT connected, the wifi speeds are heavily reduces. Unpairing, connecting the device, or disabling bluetooth fixes the issue. Tested and same result with the Steam Controller, and 2 bluetooth mice. 

Another issue with bluetooth that I'm having is that if a bluetooth headset and a bluetooth mouse are connected, video stutters and stops playing. Disconnecting the mouse or the headset fixes the issue. In general, tons of problems with bluetooth on this device.

Tested with both newblue flag and without it. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 189
Message 5 of 8

Hi all! 

Welcome to the community forums. 

From PSREF, this devices uses a Marvell 88W8897, 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth combo adapter, M.2 Card

As per the datasheet below, the card supports a theoretical speed of 867 Mbps (108 MB/s)

To maximize the speed of the card; ensure that:

40Mhz is enabled on the router

See if enabling WMM can enable signal boost

Distance can cause signal attenuation. Ensure you have 5 bars then try to do speedtest.

Marvell 88W8897 datasheet:

https://www.marvell.com/documents/sewwqoviqtewupxpevcs/

PSREF:

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Tablets%20_%20Convertibles/Lenovo%20Chromebook%20C...

Regards,

Matt_lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Highlighted
flowerdealer
HDMI
Views: 185
Message 6 of 8

I've tried this on my own router and still see the issue. I have no control over my work's router, but I can still see the issue there. Any ideas of why a disconnected bluetooth device would interfere with the speed? Seems like it's a driver bug of some kind.
JackFrost007
Blue Screen Again
Views: 147
Message 7 of 8

Unhelpful.

List of findings:
Bluetooth off: good speeds

Bluetooth on with only 1 device [mouse] paired and connected, not searching for other unpaied devices : good speeds [Device is mouse]

Bluetooth on with only 1 device paired [headphones] and connected, not searching for other unpaied devices : LOW speeds [Device is headphones]

Bluetooth on with 1 device paired[mouse] and connected, searching for other unpaied devices : low speeds

Bluetooth on with 0 paied devices, not searching for unpaied devices : good speeds

Bluetooth on with 0 paied devices, searching for unpaied devices : low speeds

Bluetooth on with 2 devices paired but not connected : low speeds

Bluetooth on with 2 devices paired but one connected : low speeds

What we can infer here is : 

Speeds fall when bluetooth is searching for devices [thus using power]. 
Speeds fall when headphones is connected irrespective of bluetooth search/ pairing status. [headphones using more power than mouse?]
Speeds do not fall when mouse is the only device paired and connected and not searching for others.
Speeds fall when bluetooth is searching for paired or unpaired devices or when it is paired to 2 devices whether connected/not, searching/not.

Maybe because the bluetooth and wifi adapters are on the same chip, this is a power issue. Can you push a software fix or push a button to stop bluetooth search.

flowerdealer
HDMI
Views: 84
Message 8 of 8

Can someone from Lenovo please investigate? I have a replacement model and same issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors