Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vijayt
Paper Tape
Views: 26,054
Message 1 of 17

Lenovo n22 Chromebook Recovery Mode

Hi,

I just purchased my Lenovo N22-20 Chromebook from Amazon. However, I am having problems getting into Recovery Mode using the instructions published here https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595?hl=en-GB&source=genius-rts. When I press and hold esc + refresh, then press the power button (for about half a second)- it immediately shutsdown my chromebook, it doesn't go into recovery mode. I tried this sequence with the chromebook off and it does nothing. I tried the sequence before and after logging in too.  I also tried esc + refresh on it's own as some posts suggested just those two keys.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a different set of keystrokes that need to be used with a Lenovo N22-20? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lenovo Employee JPChrome
Lenovo Employee
Views: 25,918
Message 2 of 17

Re: Lenovo n22 Chromebook Recovery Mode

Vijayt

What are you trying to accomplish? Is the current chrome boot corrupted or are you just trying to reset it to factory defaults?

I am a little confuse by your description.

The system should be off when you hit the esc , refresh key and power button.

vijayt
Paper Tape
Views: 25,832
Message 3 of 17

Hi JPChrome,

Thanks for replying. I was trying to put the chromebook into recovery mode so that I could turn on Developer Mode. From reading documentation the key sequence is supposed to be hold esc + refresh, then press power; however it wasn't working, that key sequence just turned off the chromebook or if pressed very quickly simply restarts it.

Anyway I read elsewhere that some chromebooks have a special write-protect screw, this could have just been a coincidence but removing the screws and then trying the key sequence worked.

Thanks

Vijay

Lenovo Employee JPChrome
Lenovo Employee
Views: 25,821
Message 4 of 17

When the system restarts at the first screen  hit control alt d

That will set it into development mode 

Let me know if this helps .

Removing the security screw is not what you are looking to do.

You can also use the power wash option from  the advance settings  for Chrome 

rebsterjane
Punch Card
Views: 25,136
Message 5 of 17

I am having this problem too.

bplusphoto
What's DOS?
Views: 24,079
Message 6 of 17

I'm having the same issue with 2 of my Chromebooks in the district as well. I can't seem to break it to get it to go into developer mode. Both of these deviceces have reported keyboard issues as well. I wish there were an easy fix or a reset button to push. I'm waiting to hear back from our vendor to see if they can guide me before I try myself, as these are under warranty still. 

bingBong_is
Paper Tape
Views: 24,023
Message 7 of 17

Also having issues getting into developer mode.  I tried using ctrl+alt+d at start up as suggested with no luck.  When I do the standard chromebook method of ESC+ Refresh + Power the screen goes black then flashes horizontal lines of black and white pixels.  I have to hit Refresh+Power to reboot it.  Does Lenovo have a reponse to me and the others here who have the same issues of not being able to get into developer mode on the N22?

DumbledorBoB
Paper Tape
Views: 23,963
Message 8 of 17

vijayt, have you got it working? I'm new to Chromebooks,but I put my N22-20 to stable version 55 , then put it in Dev Mode (not Dev Channel) to install the (beta) Play Store--works great.

I pressed Esc-Refresh-Pwr -- BUT, while holding down Esc & Refresh, I just momentatily touched the power button, probably for only a tenth of a second. Maybe version 55 or not holding down the power button for a half sec will work for you. Good Luck -- Modern Combat 5 with a Logitech F310 wired controller is really fast & fluid on the N22-20.

bingBong_is
Paper Tape
Views: 23,928
Message 9 of 17

Hey DumbledorBoB I just updated to version 55 and tried what you suggested, a short press on power.  No luck.  This time the screen just goes full black.  No horizontal lines like I mentioned earlier.  Have to use esc+power to restart the machine.  This is really frustrating!  Hope the lenovo guys chime in with something.  Surely they have a spare N22 laying around to test..... I'd like to know if I have defective unit.

Lenovo Employee JPChrome
Lenovo Employee
Views: 23,915
Message 10 of 17

Hi Bing , Can you plug in an HDMI cable and monitor into the unit and see if it displays there. if it does then you will need to send the unit in for repair 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors