cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Papayaman1000
Paper Tape
Views: 4,361
Message 1 of 11

N23 Yoga Chromebook - Sudden shutdown, won't power on without charger; no local storage access?

Earlier today, I had shut the lid on my Chromebook (putting it into standby mode) and had put it away. At this point it had full power. About half an hour later, I had opened it up again, but it had shut off, and I coudn't get it to turn on again until I plugged it in to auxilary power. When it revived, it still had full battery, but had forgotten the details of the network until I had signed in.

This is similar to another issue, wherein the system will occasionally stop opening and running user-installed applications and block any access to local storage (such as viewing and downloading files), citing lack of permission (which does not apply otherwise), until restarting and logging in again.

My device is fully up-to-date on the stable update stream. Why am I having these issues? Are there any ways to fix this permanently (aside from purchasing a different device)?

Papayaman1000
Paper Tape
Views: 4,164
Message 2 of 11

Re: N23 Yoga Chromebook - Sudden shutdown, won't power on without charger; no local storage access?

EDIT: The shutdown seems to be caused by overheating, from what I can tell. Is there seriously no heat sink on this device? For shame, Lenovo.

Still no idea why local storage keeps breaking, though.
JasonScarb
Paper Tape
Views: 4,095
Message 3 of 11

Re: N23 Yoga Chromebook - Sudden shutdown, won't power on without charger; no local storage access?

Just reg'd to chime in and say Im seeing the same issue.  

We just got a batch of these to try out for the next school year, several times now I've gone to turn this machine on after unplugging it and it will not turn on, power light doesnt light up, ive tried holding it for several seconds, tapping it, but it just its there.  Once I plug the power back into it and hit power button once more it turns back on and I can then unplug it and operate it (shows full battery like the previous poster said).

Cant seem to reproduce it on demand, it seems to need to sit idle for an amount of time before the issue is induced, its happened after leaving it on and open, and after turning it off and closed, but the end result is always the same.  I can never turn this thing back on the next day without jump starting it basically.

JasonScarb
Paper Tape
Views: 4,098
Message 4 of 11

duplicate

Papayaman1000
Paper Tape
Views: 4,059
Message 5 of 11

Ach! During recent use, the device randomly shut itself down again. It didn't need to be "jump-started", but this time it wasn't caused by overheating, either.

These devices seem to have at least three different issues related to sudden shutdowns alone... and that's abysmal.
chitownwillie
Paper Tape
Views: 3,580
Message 6 of 11

Same situation here.  Have several out of the box new N23 Yogas that fully charge overnight.  When our students unplug from chargers in the morning, they do not power up.  Only way to power back up is to plug them into the charger and press the power button.

We have over 700 of these devices deployed on our network and I deal with this issue about 5 times daily.  It's not device specific as it is random users.  Only thing consistent is that it happens when the device is fully charged overnight.

Any help would be appreciated.

toguard0
What's DOS?
Views: 3,488
Message 7 of 11

metoooooo

snicmtl
Punch Card
Views: 3,470
Message 8 of 11

Have seen this as well. Usually when I ask students what they were doing, they were doing something related with video, usually Google Hangouts which may be causing overheating? I've pulled the ChromeOS logs from one but not sure what to look for yet.

TerryMitchell
Punch Card
Views: 3,325
Message 9 of 11

Today is the first time I've seen this issue. We'd ordered 1500 N23's over the summer and they are in carts in the schools for kids to use. When I opened the lid it powered on without having to touch the button, but after turning it off would not come back on. Refresh+power doesn't seem to force it on either. I can get it to come on if I try to powerwash it , but the powerwash never successfully reboots the chromebook (thus negating the powerwash) Any ideas would be great!

RandySmith
Punch Card
Views: 3,177
Message 10 of 11

We have started seeing a very similar issue to this on the N23 yoga chromebooks.  The when shutting the system down via the lid switch, the light on the power button board never shuts off.  Opening the lid, or pressing the power button does not change anything at all.  I have tried updating the OS to the latest, running the manufacturer RMA shim, which passes all of the hardware and stress tests, but none of which has any effect.  Replacing the motherboard has resolved each case of this, but it seems like something that an update should be able to fix.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors