Did you mean: 
Haze76
Paper Tape
Views: 503
Message 1 of 5

700-25ISH Desktop - graphics card GPU for 4K video & psu compatibility

Hello,

This is in reference to a: Lenovo model 90ED

I would like to upgrade my video card to a compatible 4k card, also it looks like psu upgrade will also be required.  Does anyone have recommendations for a video card & psu that will fit w/o modifications to the tower?   I'm looking for a 4K video card w/ multiple displays( 2 ) mainly for viewing blueprints, does not have to be top of the line gaming. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

P.S. - I also need to replace the CPU Fan if anyone knows of a parts list for this model or where I can find it. 

Mod:  edited Subject line to add system type

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 492
Message 2 of 5

Re: 700-25ISH Desktop - 4K video card & psu compatibility

You wish to have 2 monitors at 4K? At 60Hz? 

What 4K-capable video inputs do your monitors have (HDMI 2.0b, Displayport, dual-link DVI)?  Please list all.  Which power supply does your system have (250w or 400w)?  You can get that from the label on the side of the power supply, remove the side cover.  . 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Haze76
Paper Tape
Views: 488
Message 3 of 5

At least one monitor at 4k the other probaly 1920 × 1080.  Working on this for a friend. PC has a 250w.  He is wanting a new 4k wide screen display to view blueprints, so it will probably have the said inputs you requested.  Im thinking 60hz would be fine for what he is wanting to use them for.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 477
Message 4 of 5

Consider the GT 1030 DDR5, this will work with the existing 250w supply.

They all have one HDMI 2.0b port, which will do 4K at 60 Hz.  For the second port, many have a dual-link DVI, which will do 4K at 30 Hz (not good for video, but would be OK for blueprints.)   The MSI version has a DisplayPort 1.4 instead of DVI, and is also capable of 4K at 60 Hz; either native DP into a monitor, or using an adapter can convert into any other video technology, giving you 2 ports of 4K at 60 Hz. 

BE SURE to get the DDR5 version, as the DDR4 will save $15, put gives up half the performance of the card.

Update:  be aware that the GT 1030 won't do 4K UHD Netflix streaming (it will do 1K HD - all modern graphics can do 1K HD streaming), a GTX 1050 or higher is needed for 4K streaming (it's a licensing issue, not technical.) 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Haze76
Paper Tape
Views: 461
Message 5 of 5

Hey, thank you!

I will check those out. That sounds like just what i need, and would save time & $ towards an additional psu that would not be needed.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors