Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tNtftb
SCSI Port
Views: 2,969
Message 1 of 18

710 25ISH Motherboard Test Failure

Hello: I replaced my K450e with above model.  Because I had motherboard issues with a 710 25ISH just prior to this one, I ran the test out of concern.  It failed, specifically with the USB.  The error detail stated "overcurrent detected."  What does this mean?  I have no USB devices on the machine, unless you count the keyboard and mouse.

Does someone in the community have any thoughts on this?  Thanks!

tNtftb

Mod's Edit: Edit model number in Subject of post.

tNtftb
SCSI Port
Views: 2,941
Message 2 of 18

Re: 710 25ISH Motherboard Test Failure

Okey-doke, I resolved this.  Because the previous K450e had two ports for keyboard and mouse located next to the router plug, that's where I plugged them in on this model.  No, they needed to be plugged in the two ports above those. 

I was alerted to this issue in a strange way:  this machine here is extremely stable, ie: no disk or network activity during Youtube videos.  Today, I see disk activity at a very steady 4%, only during Youtube, in two separate browsers.  Very odd.  So, I downloaded the single motherboard test, and this showed the USB fail.  Replugged the keybrd/mouse and voila! No more disk activity during Youtube.  Weird, maybe there's an explanation somewhere.

Also, given the motherboard issues previously, I use Speccy professional version to monitor temperatures.  Wouldn't you know the motherboard temp doesn't display.  Is it a Lenovo issue?  A software issue (Lenovo tech support says it is)?  Currently, this problem is being investigated as I'd reported it to Piriform but if anyone reading this who also uses Speccy and this model (or any model), and is using Windows 10 version 1607, can please confirm,   I'd be grateful. 

Edited to add:  After replugging the keyboard/mouse a second run with the motherboard test resulted in all passed.

tNtftb

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,846
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for posting your solution. 

Just a little clarification, do you own a 700 or 710?  Thanks !

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

tNtftb
SCSI Port
Views: 2,840
Message 4 of 18

Hi Majestic--the machine is definitely a 710-25ISH BIOS version FWKT42A and I'm aware there's a BIOS update for it, though I'm a little chicken to apply it right now.

Task Manager and Event Viewer are among the most under-rated apps in Windows in my opinion--they catch subtle little issues like this before they escalate, carelessness on my part notwithstanding.

Believe it or not, the Speccy/ Lenovo motherboard temperature issue is a problem.  When I hear back from Piriform, I'll post what they say here, if it's OK with you.  According to their R & D, it's a "bug." 

tNtftb

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,774
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for the clarification.  I edited your first posting in this thread and corrected the model number.

As for Speccy, have you tried comparing your Speccy results with another hardware monitoring program like HWMonitor?  That would give you an indication if there is a quirk with Speccy or a problem with the programs accessing the motherboard temp sensor.

HWMonitor comes in two free versions.  The first installs directly to your hard drive and the second is a portable version which can be unzipped to a flash drive.  Here is the link.......

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

tNtftb
SCSI Port
Views: 2,768
Message 6 of 18

Hi Majestic:  Did I not state the model number correctly?  I apologize.

Yes, I tried HWCPUID a while ago and it too didn't display the temp.  I actually understated my concern in the original post, I'm a little worried there's a motherboard issue somewhere on this new machine.  I told Piriform twice I'd used another temp monitor to cross-check but the agent there insisted it was a bug in the Piriform software.  He had me use HWINFO to get motherboard data, I hope they got something useful out of it.  Really hope it's a Windows 10 thing.

OK, so all I can do is wait. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,764
Message 7 of 18

Your first posting had 710 25ISH in the Subject line and 700 25ISH in the narrative body of the message.  Not a big problem and easy to edit so no apology necessary.  I just didn't want to confuse future readers of this thread.  Thanks !

Unfortunately as new computer models and operating systems are released, creators of utility software like Speccy have to adjust their program accordingly for the latest technology.  The information you have provided Piriform should be of great assistance to them in updating Speccy.

snoopy49099
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,608
Message 8 of 18

I am dealing with the same kind of issue! As well as I keep loosing connection to my external Hard Drive (via USB 3.0) Ever since the updated scan tool I had been getting the USB Fail test report. So after reading these coments and some other threads, I thought to move some USB plugs around! So this is what I have discovered! The bottom two USB plugs are slaved to the top two in some way that if used they effect in a negative way! If I plug anything into them, wether camera or printer I get the error and loose connection to my external HD. But if nothing is pluged into them, all is good and my external HD stays connected and seen by the computer! Now I know this sounds so simple and logical but I'm convinced that there is some issue with the design of the board or maybe still a firmware issue still. So now I going to add a USB 3.0 card or another 3.0 Hub.

tNtftb
SCSI Port
Views: 2,602
Message 9 of 18

Hi, Snoopy:

If it's not too much trouble, could you post your findings and outcome when available?

This would be appreciated.

tNtftb

Edited to add:  I'd think having some USB device plugged into those suspect ports continuously without being aware that this is incorrect could cause some issues down the road, maybe even shorten the life of your motherboard if not mistaken.  So this is worthwhile to pursue further.

tNtftb
SCSI Port
Views: 2,435
Message 10 of 18

Hi:  I thought I'd stop in and update this issue to "really resolved" as it is.  Finally got the Speccy motherboard temperature to display, after a lot of help and trouibleshooting, thanks greatly to Piriform support. 

Flashed the BIOS to latest:

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors