Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

38 Posts

12-18-2007

Louisville, KY

84 Signins

670 Page Views

• Views: 670
  • Message 1 of 5

A 3rd Party system restore software story.

2008-04-09, 20:25 PM
    Hi all.  This will probably only apply to those of you on this forum that don't have a very strong knowledge base of Windows and how to correct major system issues, etc., like myself.  I had my first serious hard-drive crash yesterday.  I tried installing some older software on Vista, and upon reboot, I would only get blue-screened and then rebooted and then blue-screened, so on so forth.  I had purchased a copy of Acronis True Image 11 based on some internet reviews and had been backing up my system weekly.  Of course, I had not tried the software out, as I wasn't going to wipe my drive just for the fun of it, so when my system got messed over by me, myself and I, I definitely had a moment of panick as to wether or not the restore software would work.  I can honestly say it was a well spent 40 bucks.
    The install CD from Acronis is also bootable, so once I figured out I was in over my head since Vista wouldn't even boot into safe mode, I tossed the cd in and waited for the worst.  It booted me right to the main software menu, which is very user friendly, and in about a minute and half I was on my way to re-imaging (if that is the correct term)  my hard-drive.
    All in all, it took near 5 hours to complete as I selected every verification and fail-safe option the software had, but finally it spat out that the process was complete.  I threw up a quick prayer, and clicked OK to reboot the PC.  Everything booted right back up just fine.  No weird driver errors, or configuration issues.  Nothing but a functional OS, and functional everything-else software.
    If anyone is thinking abotu buying backup software or can't make a decision, I would highly recommend Acronis.  It's very simple to use, and I can tell you it actually works flawlessly.
    Hope this is a help for anyone who needs it.
Options

134 Posts

12-23-2007

San Francisco,California

463 Signins

4498 Page Views

• Views: 4498
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: A 3rd Party system restore software story.

2008-04-09, 23:19 PM
Hi Bear,
Glad you got your system back up and running!  What was the older software? Was it a 16bit program? I have a few older programs that are on the XP but not Vista. I am even trying to run so old dos games. Thanks. BTW have you tried the ONE Key recovery button on the Keyboard?
Lenovo 3000K100 Intel Core2 Quad Vista Home Premium BFG 8800GT-OC 512MB PCIe 500GB SATA HD 4GB PC-5300 DDR2 DVD +/- RW DL x2 SATA Creative X-FI Pro + Mods
Options

38 Posts

12-18-2007

Louisville, KY

84 Signins

670 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2008-04-09, 23:58 PM
Hi eng,
    I was reluctant to use One Key since it seemed so many people were having issues with it on here.  I had a trial version of Acronis that had come with a SeaGate drive I bought quite a while back, and upon researching it a bit decided to give it a go.  Again, I'm glad I did.
    The program I was trying to install was Roxio Cd Creator 6.  Definitely NOT Vista compliant.  My wife's car CD player won't read MP3 cds made from the latest version of Windows Media Player, so I was going to try to burn her one off of Roxio.  Won't be doing that.
    That being said, if anyone has had the car cd player spit out an E-4 error when trying to play MP3s, let me know if you found a resolution ;p
Options

134 Posts

12-23-2007

San Francisco,California

463 Signins

4498 Page Views

• Views: 4498
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-04-10, 7:29 AM
Thanks again Bear,
I have Roxio 5 so that would have been fun also... LOL.  Did you give a thought to the Windows Restore app also?  BTW for MP3s I think some of the cars see MP3 but depends on the bit rate that you burn them. Some can do the 128 others the full 320bit.  I use Cakewalk Pyro because if it's super ease and use. The Creative X-FI Pro does come with some nice software like the Pyro but is a bit complicated. Thanks again for the info.
Lenovo 3000K100 Intel Core2 Quad Vista Home Premium BFG 8800GT-OC 512MB PCIe 500GB SATA HD 4GB PC-5300 DDR2 DVD +/- RW DL x2 SATA Creative X-FI Pro + Mods
Options

38 Posts

12-18-2007

Louisville, KY

84 Signins

670 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2008-04-10, 20:22 PM
Heyas eng,
    My windows backup software has never even booted for me, it always ends up with the not responding error.  Thanks for the tip for the burning software also!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms