Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nostromo99
Paper Tape
Views: 3,486
Message 1 of 6

Adding an extra HDD to a 510S ideacentre desktop

I would like to add an old HDD from my previous desktop to my 510S-08ISH. This has always been a straightforward process with my old computers, but from what I can gather, it's going to be a lot less simple doing it this time. 

Has anyone else done something like this, and if so, do you have any tips?

Many thanks.

BBQ1952
Paper Tape
Views: 3,175
Message 2 of 6

Re: Adding an extra HDD to a 510S ideacentre desktop

Greetings, I have the same issue.

There are postings on this forum such as:

Lenovo IdeaCentre 510-15IKL - Installing HDD but missing SATA powe Cable/unkown connection

and related which explain the same issue.

My model 510S-081KL ideacentre desktop tower; the motherboard has 3 sata data connections - no problem there, but only the 2 x 4pin "innovative??" power connectors - currently used for exisitng HDD and DVD. I want to add an additional SSD and make it C: drive with O/S.

There are adaptor cables available such as: [6in Latching SATA Power Y Splitter Cable Adapter - M/F] [https://www.startech.com/Cables/Computer-Power/Internal/6in-Latching-SATA-Power-Y-Splitter-Cable-Ada...]

which are likely useable.

My primary concern is whether doing this is likely to cause a power supply issue for the motherboard? The unit comes with 180W power unit (there is no graphics card installed).

Anyone try it yet? any ideas?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,165
Message 3 of 6

@BBQ1952 wrote:

My primary concern is whether doing this is likely to cause a power supply issue for the motherboard? The unit comes with 180W power unit (there is no graphics card installed).

Adding a SSD shouldn't be any problem, requiring just a few watts of power, even for a 1 TB drive.  Even adding a HDD, should be within the scope of a 180w supply (although a HDD power draw spikes 2-3 times steady state to spin the media up at power-on, and needs to be accounted for depending on what else is installed.) 

Update:  you can find the wattage for a HDD in the manufacture specifications for that drive.  SSDs do not have any power-on spike like a HDD, which is another advantage for using a SSD. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
BBQ1952
Paper Tape
Views: 3,157
Message 4 of 6

Thanks BiggAl that's my thinking too. I just hope the motherboard connector system has enough built-in capacity for those spikes.
BBQ1952
Paper Tape
Views: 3,133
Message 5 of 6

Greetings all followers here:

I've done some further investigation and just about convinced myself that there's not an issue with adding the extra drive; but what I have uncovered is the lack of easy access (for novices like me) to relevant information.

First - the calcs. The machine came from the shop with a Seagate  2Tb - Model ST2000DM001 traditional HDD built in Feb 2018 (that's important for >2017 specs). At spin start this HDD can draw up to approximately 36W (12V x ~2.5A); normal usage power is around nominal 6.7 W. So, one can argue that the system can at least handle spikes of 36W +/- and the working power is low and relatively unimportant by comparison.

If I want to add a ScanDisk Plus SSD model SDSSDA-240G-Q25*, then the max load would seem to be from the cover 5Vx 0.7A or about 3.5W. Thus if both drives started together at max rate we would need about 40W - which is about 22% of my system. Or another way to think about it is that the 3.5 W for the SSD is within a 10% tolerance of the already fitted HDD - and this doesn't seem too much to ask.

So I'm planning to connect up when I get the Y splitter adaptor cable  for the sata power connection.

Now for the knowledge gaps:

1. why can't I find from Lenovo's documentation what is the average and maximum permissible power draw for their super "innovative!!" (not) power feed off the motherboard?

2*. why can't I find meaningful power analyses/tests for the SanDisk SSD?; it doesn't seem to be an important issue to anyone. The closest I can find is a test on a similar (earlier) product SDSSDA-240G-G25 by 'Hardware.info' group - who report sequential 1MB usage power of 1.8W. This gives me confidence - and well done to "Hardware.info'.

Nostromo99
Paper Tape
Views: 2,770
Message 6 of 6

Thanks to those who've replied to this thread. After I bought the computer, I assumed it would be simple to add an old hard drive as that was something I'd done with all of my previous desktops, which all came with a slot already available - just plug in the drive and away you go. So it was a surprise to find that that wasn't the case with the Lenovo. And from what I can gather from the posts on here, it's something of a technical challenge to make it work - even for those who are technically adept, which I'm not. 

Anyway, I ended up just getting an external adapter, which does the job, even if it's all a bit messier.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors