cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
llinfeng
Punch Card
Views: 308
Message 1 of 3

BIOS does not recognize my M.2 SSD on Lenovo® IdeaCentre 510A (pre-installed with Intel Optane)

I got a new Lenovo® IdeaCentre 510A and have trouble reusing my M.2 SSD on it. The BIOS does not recognize my M.2 SSD drive. The machine is shipped with Intel Optane xxx configured. I have disbaled the Optane drive through Devices \ ATA Drive Setup and have chosen the other option as the following. Yet, I still cannot see the M.2 SSD drive from the "Boot-from" list. I followed this tutorial to first diable the Optane thing: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht504146

Devices.jpg

How to tell the BIOS to load a normal SATA drive through the M.2 port? I was assuming that "AHCI" means "Not Intell Optane" Smiley Happy Here goes what I see from Startup list ==> M.2 Drive 1 slot is empty.

list.jpg

The SSD stick that I would like to mount is from 2-3 years ago. It is not NVMe, and has Windows OS loaded. Previously, I have been using it with a ThinkServer TS140 machine, mounted through a PCIe card. When I put the SSD stick back to the TS140 machine, Windows OS still load from this stick.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 251
Message 2 of 3

Re: BIOS does not recognize my M.2 SSD on Lenovo® IdeaCentre 510A (pre-installed with Intel Optane)

@llinfeng wrote:

The SSD stick that I would like to mount is from 2-3 years ago. It is not NVMe, and has Windows OS loaded. Previously, I have been using it with a ThinkServer TS140 machine, mounted through a PCIe card. When I put the SSD stick back to the TS140 machine, Windows OS still load from this stick.

When you wrote that it's not NVMe, that suggests it's a SATA SSD card?  You don't provide a model number.  Regardless:  IdeaCentre 510A - all types: Adding a M.2 SSD (PCIe, NVMe)

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Highlighted
llinfeng
Punch Card
Views: 244
Message 3 of 3

Re: BIOS does not recognize my M.2 SSD on Lenovo® IdeaCentre 510A (pre-installed with Intel Optane)

Clarification: the M.2 SSD is indeed a SATA SSD stick. Under the BIOS setting listed in the original posting, it cannot be recognized by my Ideacentre 510A (HDD + Optane Memory).

Current status: I found no documentation of configuring/updating the BIOS to get the M.2 slot to recognize my M.2 SATA SSD and have put back the Optane drive. I have kept the SATA SSD card for the older TS140 machine, which has been repurposed to a Linux server (super power-efficient: no more than 50 Watts when idle).

The configuration that I am settled with: 

• Hardware-wise:
    • Added a Samsung QVO 2.5-inch SATA SSD to the bay beneath the optical drive,
    • Put back the Optane stick to the M.2 slot
    • Planning to upgrade the 180W PSU to boot up a 6-display GPU card; (IdeaCentre 510A has TFX PSU).
    • Planning to swap out the 2x4GB RAMs for higher memory.
  • OS-wise:
    • Loaded Windows OS onto the Samsung SSD (booting into the installer USB, and loaded the OS to SSD),
      • Note, a certain option in the BIOS\Startup needs to be configured 
    • Boot from the SSD drive, by arranging the Startup order 
    • Downloaded a number of things to get Optane to work, including:
      • Management tool from Microsoft store,
      • The following three supporting drivers (needs to be downloaded and installed individually)
        Drivers_to_install_Optane.png

• With everything installed, configure the Optane to work with the OS drive (2.5-inch SATA SSD). ==> Indeed, the benchmark test almost doubled Smiley Happy
      Benchmark.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors