cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VonBoggan
What's DOS?
Views: 652
Message 1 of 4

Beep codes for H530: What do the beeps mean?

I was using my Lenovo H530 tonight. Running beautifully as normal. I walked to the kitchen to get a drink. Less than one minute later it started beeping. Beep, beep, beep, a different pitched beep. over and over. The screen was black and the monitor light was orange. pushed keys on key board and moved the mouse. nothing happened. I shut the computer down and rebooted. I ot the same 4 beeps and nothing but a black screen. What do the 4 beeps mean and where is my video? I have rebooted many times with the same result each time.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 638
Message 2 of 4

Re: Beep codes for H530: What do the beeps mean?

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of your problems.  Unfortunately for your model there is no documentation available that explains the beep error code you are receiving.  In checking the beep error codes for the Thinkpad product line, a 4 beep cycle points to a problem with the motherboard.  In reviewing various generic beeps codes, a 4 beep cycle could be an indicator of a motherboard problem or a problem with the memory.  Based on all that information I would try this.....

First, try clearing the CMOS.  That will rule out any hardware conflicts with the BIOS.  To clear the CMOS unplug your system, press and hold the power button for 15 seconds then open the cover on your computer.  Inside remove the round coin cell battery from the motherboard.  On the socket holding the battery should be a little tab that when pressed will eject the battery.  Once the battery is removed press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.  Then reinstall the battery, plug the computer in and see if it will now power up correctly.  Page #24 of your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual will show the location of the motherboard battery.  Here is a link to that manual.......

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_h530_hmm_20130807.pdf

If clearing the CMOS didn't resolve the problem then try reseating the memory modules.  Basically you just want to remove and then reinsert the memory modules to insure they are fully seated in their socket and are making good contact.  Only remove the memory modules after the computer has been unplugged.  Once reseated then plug the system back in and see if it will now boot up.  If it doesn't and you have more than one module then try only one module at a time and in each slot.  Do this for each module.  If one of the modules doesn't allow the computer to boot up and the other one does then consider the non-working modules as being bad.  Page #31 of the manual will explain how to remove the memory module in your system.

If reseating the memory did not work then try disconnecting the hard drive, optical drive, wireless card, etc.  Again remove these items after the computer is unplugged.  Once the items are removed, plug in the computer and see if the computer shows some sign of life without the beeping when powered on.

If all of the above does not resolve the problem then suspect the motherboard has failed.

If you are not comfortable with inside your computer or your system is still under warranty then I would recommend you contact Lenovo Support for additional assistance at the phone number below......

Lenovo Support - USA

1-877-453-6686
24 hours a day 7 days / week

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

VonBoggan
What's DOS?
Views: 618
Message 3 of 4

You are a genius! Clearing the CMOS by removing the battery for apout 5 minutes worked. My computer is now up and running. Thank you!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 615
Message 4 of 4

You are more than welcome. Glad to hear you are back up and running.

Thanks for posting back with an update !

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Top Kudoed Authors