cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ultimatefloyd
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5

Booting up from the optical drive on a Lenovo H430

I'm attempting to boot to a Win7 DVD, but in BIOS I'm unable to set the boot priority to any type of optical drive. The BIOS boot devices menu is the same. I know I can use the USB tool, but that also didn't work. Is there any Lenovo BIOS patch I can apply, or an alternate solution to be able to boot to the optical drive?

ned_flanders
Paper Tape
Message 2 of 5

Re: Booting up from the optical drive on a Lenovo H430

Hi,

On the Lenovo H505s you have to change a few options in the BIOS to install Windows 7 which requires booting from the optical drive. It's probably the same in the H430

Restart the computer at the white Lenovo (BIOS) screen, hit F1 to enter the BIOS

Go to Security tab

Go to Secure Boot

Disable Secure Boot

Reset to setup mode

hit Yes to "Do you really wish to reset platform to setup mode?"

Change the boot options to look for USB devices if you are installing from a flash drive, or make the DVD drive the first boot device. (Select SATA dev 1 not the DVD drive or whatever it's called and hit the - key)

Go to the EXIT tab

Disable OS Optimized Defaults

Save and Exit.

That's now I did it on the H505s, not to sure what impact that has on the OEM installation of Win 8, probably destroys it, so be aware you might not be able to go back after.

-Cheers

ultimatefloyd
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for your reply. I was able to go about doing everything you instructed until changing the boot options. My boot options unfortunetly don't have those options you listed. Past that the only thing that came up was "Restore Factory Keys", and the only way I was able to go about getting to the Reset To Setup Mode was to actually Enable Secure Boot because when it was disabled the Reset To Setup Mode was non-selectable.

On that note on the boot menu itself from BIOS has these options as follows:

USB KEY

USB FDD

SATA 1:

WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER

SATA 2:

SATA 3:

eSATA 1:

Network 1:

IP4

IP6

Excluded from boot order:

USB HDD

USB CDROM

Now, for the heck of it I tried to include the USB CDROM to the boot order to obviously do nothing as I expected. Past that, I cannot make the boot options to look for USB devices unless you are refering to adding the excluded USB boot options to the boot list. I've taken a good look at the motherboard to identify that the optical drive itself is plugged into the "SATA 3" slot, so I also tried promoting that up the list to have that not work as well.

ultimatefloyd
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 5

Actually I figured out myself. There was an option under the exit menu that allowed for it. Thank you for your assistance.

cyqian
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 5

My problem is the same: the boot-op file or partition in my hard drive is demaged, and I have to reset my Lenovo H430 back to factory default with the recovery disks.  But I have difficulty to boot from CD ROM drive.  The list of boot-up priority in the BIOS is exactly the same as you pasted in one of your previous posts.  I followed the suggestions in this series discussion but not had any luck.  Would you, or anybody else, describe in bit more indetails as how how you start booting from CDROM?  Thanks in advance.

Top Kudoed Authors