Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

05-09-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 6

510A: Can i upgrade to a graphics card from integrated graphics

2020-05-09, 1:48 AM

i really want to upgrade my pc? it is this pc in the link provided. can it be upgraded along with the RAM? https://www.lambda-tek.com/Lenovo-90J0002SUK~sh/B42915172&viewSpec=y#product-view

Options

7 Posts

07-15-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Can i upgrade to a graphics card from integrated graphics

2020-07-15, 18:58 PM

I have a (new to me) similar model IdeaCentre 510A (90J0007MUS) and added an ASUS GeForce 210 Silent 1GB DDR3 video card. Once the machine boots it's got good graphics and performance running dual monitors with DVI-D feeds. However, I now have a machine that boots extremely slow, if at all. I sometimes have to do a hard reset during the boot and then it responds quite normally during the post and windows boot. I have set the BIOS to bypass the internal graphics, but that has not changed the slow boot problem. Lenovo has a list of compatible hardware on their support pages, but this units power supply is questionable as to powering the listed video cards. I too would really like some advice on how to run better graphics and two monitors in digital on this model. 

Lenovo sells the ADD2 DVI monitor adapter but that relies on the internal graphics and only adds one DVI-D to the existing VGA thus accommodating two monitors, but only one digital port. For what this card costs you can purchase a true video card with multiple HD digital output ports.

Options

5635 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8448 Signins

137318 Page Views

• Views: 137318
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:510A: Can i upgrade to a graphics card from integrated graphics

2020-07-16, 1:33 AM

GeForce 210 was a low-end graphics card when it was introduced 11 years ago, and now it is hopelessly outdated and outclassed.  Your integrated AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics is 927% better, almost 10 fold, than this 210 card, and more than compensates for the analog interface of the VGA port (the other port, HDMI, is digital.)  The advantage of AMD vs. Intel processors is the strength of the integrated graphics.  

The ADD2 DVI monitor adapter is only applicable to Intel graphics from the mid 2000s:  "The ADD2 DVI-D Monitor Connection Adapter is supported in small form factor, desktop, or tower systems that have an Intel video subsystem. Intel subsystems include G31, G33, G41, Q35 and Q45. "  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

7 Posts

07-15-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2020-07-20, 15:14 PM
Hi BiggAl, Thanks for the reply and your noting the old GeForce 210 inequities. I was fully aware of its inferiority but it was at hand when I got this new case availing me to run dual monitors. The unfortunate downside to this Lenovo model is its lack of any digital video. The only graphics drive is the VGA. There is NO HDMI, DVI, or DP on this model, so I'm in need of any type of low power consumption video card to slot in. I would really like to use the onboard Vega graphics, but don't seem to have anyway to do so. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Options

5635 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8448 Signins

137318 Page Views

• Views: 137318
  • Message 5 of 6

2020-07-20, 15:46 PM

The Lenovo specs and photos show a HDMI port next to the VGA port.  For my own edification, can you post a photo (lower res) here of the rear ports, thank you. 

Also, what size and resolution are the monitors you wish to connect? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

7 Posts

07-15-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-09-09, 19:25 PM
BiggAL, You are absolutely correct that there IS an HDMI along with the VGA. I stand corrected and a bit embarrassed that I actually asked for help with this inaccurate info. My mindset was to utilize the Vega 8 graphics to its fullest with driving both monitors with digital. This is really not necessary as I have utilized the onboard graphics with one analog and one digital feed and it's working just fine. My monitors (2 x Samsung S23c200) are certainly nothing fancy as this is a work desk and not a graphic intense situation. Thank you for helping bring me to my senses and the easy compromise in quality that is barely perceivable.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms