Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tangatangs
Paper Tape
Views: 998
Message 1 of 3

Clean Reinstall of Windows 8 from Lenovo Recovery Disk Set Fails

Hello everyone, I am at a loss here. I have Lenovo H520s SFF Desktop and the hard drive failed, under warranty.  Lenovo sent a service tech to my home to replace Hard Drive and Reinstall Windows 8. The service tech started the reinstallation and left, told me to follow the prompts on the screen when prompted.  Well the installation failed.  I called Lenovo, they sent the same tech again and this time he replaced the motherboard too... During the days for this to occur, Lenovo sent me 3 recovery disk sets for installation of Windows 8.  - The install starts, and goes through but does not ever finish. I have tried all 3 recover disks sets and get the same problem. After calling Lenovo again, I was told it was a setting in the BIOS that needed to be changed, but the technician and the supervisor I spoke with could not advise me which settings to change because they were not reading the same BIOS I was when they were trying to walk me through it.  All I want is to reinstall Windows 8 on my Lenovo.  I have sent requests for BIOS updates to make installation easier, but honestly, they had to get it installed on the original hard drive in the first place, how is this so difficult now to reinstall Windows 8 on a clean hard drive.  Any advice will help.... 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 945
Message 2 of 3

Re: Clean Reinstall of Windows 8 from Lenovo Recovery Disk Set Fails

hi tangatangs,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

From your observation, it looks like there's a problem with the recovery discs. To check, we're there any error messages when the recovery process failed (eg. Recovery process fails at disc #3 with an error preMOPS fail)?

Things that you can try:

1, Download the Windows 8 Enterprise ISO 90 day trial (you will need a microsoft account to get the download link and trial key).

2. Follow this guide on how to create a bootable Windows 8 installer (either via a disc or USB)

3. Boot into the BIOS by pressing F1 and set the following settings (if applicable):

Boot/Startup Tab:

UEFI = Disabled

UEFI Boot = Legacy First

CSM = Enabled

Security Tab

Secure Boot = Disabled

Exit Tab

OS Optimized Defaults = Other OS / Disabled

When done, insert the bootable Windows 8 installer that you have created on Step 2 and press F10 to save and exit. When the machine reboots, press F12 and select the appropriate device for the Windows 8 instaler (either via DVD or USB).

If the Windows 8 Enteprise (90 day trial) installs properly then you may need to contact lenovo one more time on how to go about getting the unit serviced (you most likely need to send the unit to the repair center for re-imaging as another copy of a recovery disc set may produce the same installation problem).

EDIT:

I've sent you a PM regarding information on your machine. Please check it out.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

rogf
Paper Tape
Views: 863
Message 3 of 3

Re: Clean Reinstall of Windows 8 from Lenovo Recovery Disk Set Fails

Hi tangatangs

wow I thinkyou've been very patient with Lenovo.

Have you tried taking it back to the shop where you purchased the machine and telling them it 's a lemon and demand a new one?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors