Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

01-13-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

108 Page Views

• Views: 108
  • Message 1 of 9

Computer Crashes / Shuts Off : Overheating??? Peripherals Power Issues???

2020-02-22, 17:51 PM

My Ideacentre 710-25ISH crashes sometimes when using a specific video editing program (DaVinci Resolve 16). The power just turns off. No blue screen of death. It just stops.

I suspect it is overheating because after it turns off it won't turn back on right away if I press the power button. It takes about four or five minutes before it will respond to me pressing the power button.

The strange thing is, the fans don't seem to "get loud" before it turns off. They SOUND like they are just spinning at the normal speed. 

I recently replaced the graphics card with an RTX 2060 Super and I replaced the power supply with an EVGA 650 GQ (650 watts 80 plus gold).

questions:

1. shouldn't the fans GET LOUD if the computer is close to overheating?

2. Should the power cables of the peripherals be plugged in to the PSU directly (as the PSU manual says)? Or should the power cables to the periperherals continue to be plugged into the motherboard (as they were originally and as I kept them that way)?

3. is there an "app" of some kind to test out the fans are working ok without running a stress test? (The fans appear to be spinning ok just by looking at them.)

4. Is there some setting in the bios I might need to change now that I have a new graphics card and a new PSU?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

BTW: I ran a sensor report with HWiNFO64 before the latest crash. You can see it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1k3evuyrhqox22/Resolve_Crash_Feb_21_2020.CSV?dl=0

Here is my system info file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4rl3oyuu2qcsa1n/system_feb_21_2020.nfo?dl=0

And in case anyone is familiar with DaVinci Resolve, here are the resolve crash report from the latest crash:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq6d4hpn18c6weg/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200221_182959.zip?dl=0

Ideacentre 710-25ISH

Win 10 64-bit

24GB RAM

nVidia RTX 2060 Super 8GB VRAM

EVGA 650 GQ (650 watts 80-plus gold)

Options

275 Posts

02-06-2017

United States of America

280 Signins

5895 Page Views

• Views: 5895
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:Computer Crashes / Shuts Off : Overheating??? Peripherals Power Issues???

2020-02-23, 16:49 PM

Hello Planet99,

There are two things you should do.

1. Go into the BIOS and change Intelligent Cooling Engine (ICE) from Better Acoustics Performance to Better Thermal Performance. When you enter the BIOS move to the Power tab there you will find Intelligent Cooling Engine (ICE) . To enter the BIOS Shutdown Windows upon powering the system at the BIOS screen tap F1 several times repeatedly.

2. Add a front intake fan if you do not already have one to promote better air flow. You would be looking for a 4-Pin 92mm 12v 0.40a case fan and connect it to the AUX1 fan header on the mortarboard in the lower far right side.

This should do > Foxconn-PV902512PSPF-4-Pin-92MM-Fan

Options

275 Posts

02-06-2017

United States of America

280 Signins

5895 Page Views

• Views: 5895
  • Message 3 of 9

2020-02-23, 16:50 PM

*Double Post* 

Edit: May as well make use of it so here the fan I added.

Options

17 Posts

01-13-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

108 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2020-05-07, 0:19 AM

Oh, wow, thanks for the reply. I didn't even see that you had replied to this. I will look into the BIOS issue.

I started another thread on this as well. Quick summary of that thread. Is it possible that my RTX 2060 Super is trying to pull too much power through the rails than the motherboard can supply? sincy my PSU is 650 watts and should be able to handle the 175 watt power requirement of the RTX 2060 Super.

Thanks again.

Options

5146 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8300 Signins

131388 Page Views

• Views: 131388
  • Message 5 of 9

2020-05-07, 11:25 AM

Absolutely cable the peripherals directly to the power supply cables, as this will reduce the load through the motherboard connector.  Where did you you source the 24 to 10? pin motherboard power cable adapter? 

Is the graphics card is installed in the upper PCIe slot?  I suggest installing ventilated PCI slot covers in the unused slots to help with cooling.  Are you running the latest Nvidia driver downloaded direct from Nvidia, and not the Lenovo published one?  

Lastly, it could be the power supply is faulty, or out-of-spec for a 2060 Super.  I suggest you contact EVGA Tech Support to assist in the trouble shooting.  GL.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

17 Posts

01-13-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

108 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2020-05-07, 17:33 PM

@ BiggAl wrote:

Absolutely cable the peripherals directly to the power supply cables, as this will reduce the load through the motherboard connector.  Where did you you source the 24 to 10? pin motherboard power cable adapter? 

Is the graphics card is installed in the upper PCIe slot?  I suggest installing ventilated PCI slot covers in the unused slots to help with cooling.  Are you running the latest Nvidia driver downloaded direct from Nvidia, and not the Lenovo published one?  

Lastly, it could be the power supply is faulty, or out-of-spec for a 2060 Super.  I suggest you contact EVGA Tech Support to assist in the trouble shooting.  GL.  

Thank you so much for the reply, BiggAl. I really appreciate your suggestions.

1. Yes, I am plugging the power cables for the two hard drives and two SSD's directly in to the power supply (originally they were powered off the motherboard).

2. I sourced the 24 pin to 10 pin power cable off of Amazon.  It is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7ZD0FZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems that cable is pretty popular with Lenovo owners, but it isn't highly rated and some people say there are quality issues.

3. Yes, the GPU is in the upper PCI slot. There is nothing in the PCI slot below the graphics card. Do you have a link to the ventilated covers you mentioned? I hate to admit that I have no idea what those are.

I should probably mention that I have been trying to monitor my GPU and CPU temps and I don't remember them getting over 60C.

4. Yes, i downloaded the drivers directly from the nVidia website, using the GeForce experience app. 

5. I will try to contact EVGA and see what they say. Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why Id idn't think of that in the first place.

So a couple of other thoughts.

Is it significant that after the computer shuts down unexpectedly, if I leave the AC cable in the back of the computer, i have to wait between 5 to 10 minutes before I can boot the computer back up, but if I remove the power cable from the back of the PSU for one minute, then plug it back in, I can boot up just after that one minute of leaving it unplugged?

Secondly, this isn't an aftermarket gpu from MSI or EVGA or someone like that. I bought it off of ebay from someone who pulled it out of their Alienware computer. So it is basically a "Dell" brand. I checked out the info using GPU-Z and it seems to check out. The benchmarks seem to be in the ballpark of other RTX 2060 Super cards (maybe a bit toward the low end, but it is a stock card and is kind of a smallish form factor - smaller than my GTX 960, actually - and has one fan, and it was stock from an alienware computer). 

Oddly enough, it doesn't shut down when running benchmarks / stress tests. Only when using DaVinci Resolve for 4K video editing and when playing some games.

Anyway, thanks again.

Options

17 Posts

01-13-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

108 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2020-05-07, 17:36 PM

One more question:

Aside from the 10-pin power slots on the motherboard, I see a 4-pin power slot on the motherboard near the top (close to the bottom of the PSU). Is there ANOTHER 4-pin slot on the motherboard somewhere? I see in the EVGA installation guide that SOME motherboards might have TWO of the 4-pin slots on the motherboard (in addition to the 10-pin power slot). 

Options

5146 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8300 Signins

131388 Page Views

• Views: 131388
  • Message 8 of 9

2020-05-07, 19:26 PM

Amazon -- vented pci slot covers 

4-pin processor power connector:  one for your processor, the high-power 'Extreme' processors use two.   

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

17 Posts

01-13-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

108 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2020-05-08, 1:58 AM

Thank you!!!

So it is (primarily) the processors that can get overclocked that have two of the four-pin power sockets I guess???

My PSU has two separate 8-pin ports for powering the graphics card, and I think it came with two separate 8-pin cables. I guess I should use the other cable and plug it in to the other port on the PSU and see if that makes a difference...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms