Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

03-24-2008

Panama

8 Signins

181 Page Views

• Views: 181
  • Message 1 of 5

Disappearing Disc Drive

2008-03-24, 19:23 PM
I just bought one of these Office Depot Lenovo 3000 K desktops and have been loving it for the past week until, when i tried to watch a DVD, i noticed that the Disc drive and my 520G external hard drive were gone.  i rebooted twice and they are still gone.

There were there before becuase i've watched DVDs and i used my external drive to transfer my data onto the new computer.

this happen to anyone?  any tips?????

In other news: does anyone have a graphics card to recommend.  Want to be able to do Blu-Ray play back, no gaming.
Options

124 Posts

03-25-2008

Citrus Heights, California

64 Signins

1858 Page Views

• Views: 1858
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Disappearing Disc Drive

2008-03-25, 4:37 AM

spoonful wrote:
I just bought one of these Office Depot Lenovo 3000 K desktops and have been loving it for the past week until, when i tried to watch a DVD, i noticed that the Disc drive and my 520G external hard drive were gone.  i rebooted twice and they are still gone.

There were there before becuase i've watched DVDs and i used my external drive to transfer my data onto the new computer.

this happen to anyone?  any tips?????

In other news: does anyone have a graphics card to recommend.  Want to be able to do Blu-Ray play back, no gaming.

In regards to the dissapearing optical drive , Someone seems to have found a solution on the web. Please follow these instructions with care and back up any personal information before performing the following steps:

Now for your video card, the Geforce 8400 GS or the Radeon HD 2400 Pro seems to be a good choice, and a cheap one at that since both of those cards handle the HDCP Standard thats required to play the protected content off those drives. You will also need a powerful processor, at least 3.0ghz and a software playback solution that will play it. Obviously you will need an optical drive that will play back Blu Ray discs, and those do not come cheap. I have seen them sell anywhere from $450 to $600 USD, So shop around.
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club
Options

9 Posts

03-24-2008

Panama

8 Signins

181 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2008-03-25, 14:13 PM
I didn't have time to try the fix you gave last night but i'll attempt it tonight.

Thanks for the advice.  I thought that i needed to stay at NVID!A 8500 or ATI 2600 or above but your suggestions would lower that and, in turn, the price.   My idea is to turn it into a full blu ray HTPC but the ability to DVR and get HD signals (i only have antenna, no cable) is awesome.

I figure i'll need a video card, blu ray drive, and more powerfull PSU.  targeting the fall for all of this but i'll buy sooner if the prices are right.

FWIW, the blu ray drive for a PC are much cheaper than you are quoting.

check out this one at new egg for 139 pluss shipping.

Message Edited by spoonful on 03-25-2008 07:24 AM
Options

124 Posts

03-25-2008

Citrus Heights, California

64 Signins

1858 Page Views

• Views: 1858
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-03-25, 15:47 PM
Thank you for the correction. I was not aware that they were that cheap now.
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club
Options

9 Posts

03-24-2008

Panama

8 Signins

181 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2008-03-27, 18:36 PM
turns out i have a bum drive.  doesn't power or anything.

I called tech support for help.  they shipped me a new drive which arrived this afternoon.  Hope this fixes it.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms