Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turn11-Larry
Punch Card
Views: 472
Message 1 of 8

Erazer X510 - converting HDD to SSD and using HDD as backup

The X510 was purchased in Sept 2015 and has been a good workhorse but I want to give it a little facelift. We primarily use SAGE 50 accounting software and minimal surfing. Graphics is OK as is. 

I spoke to support and ask about an upgrade to SSD and Max RAM. I was told the max ram was 32GB DDR3. I was told the P/N for the Lenovo SSD was 16200535 which turns out to be a 2TB HDD, not an SSD.

Questions:

Is there a MoBo layout anywhere?  - Found my own answer, Pg 30/59 Hardware Maint Manual

Is there a PCIe interface on the MoBo and is the Graphics card using it?

Found own answer - should have looked first - There are 2 - PCIe X1 and 2 - PCIe X16

Is it possible to put in an SSD in the Erazer?

I appreciate any and all thoughts.

Larry

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 457
Message 2 of 8

Re: Erazer X510 - converting HDD to SSD and using HDD as backup

If it currently has a SATA HDD, you can certainly replace it with any SATA SSD you want, so that is not a problem.    There are no  M.2 slots on that system, so a SATA SSD is your only option, but that will still make a huge difference in overall performance. 

If you plan to clone the old drive tot he new drive, you would want to get a SATA SSD equal to the size of your current HDD, or at least larger than the used space on the current HDD (most SDDs come with a cloning software can shrink the drive to fit a smaller SSD as long as the new SSD is larger than than the used pace, including room for future growth) 

The system has four SATA connectors (SATA 6.0Gb/s), but you may need a SATA data cable like this one (note the 90 degree bend on one end) 

The 3.5" hard drive bracket FRU/Part number 90203452 (shown below) is not available from what I can tell, and it would not hold the 2.5" SSD without an adapter anyway, but the 2.5" SSD are small and light, so you should be able to rig a way to secure it inside the case, perhaps even by using a 3.5" to 2.5' adapter such as this one.  

capture.jpgClick on above image to expand

Lenovo Erazer X510 Platform Specifications

http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Erazer_X510

Lenovo Erazer X510Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_erazer_x510_hmm_20130826.pdf

Regards, 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 429
Message 3 of 8

I would expect that 16 GB, even 12 GB, would be plenty to run that accounting software well. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
turn11-Larry
Punch Card
Views: 411
Message 4 of 8

I think you are 100% correct. On a lot of things I subscribe to the road racing adage, there is not such a thing as too much horsepower thiis is one. 

The difference in price is not that much and one we are willing to accept.

I do appreciate your input and your willingness to help.

Larry

turn11-Larry
Punch Card
Views: 368
Message 5 of 8

I think I have narrowed it down to the Samsung 860 EVO 2TB. Does anyone see anything wrong with this selection?

This mounting bracket comes with an 18" 90° cable. 

I appreciate any input.

Larry

turn11-Larry
Punch Card
Views: 352
Message 6 of 8

Erazer x510 PCIe adapter

The Motherboard has two PCIe x 16 slots, the graphics card is in slot 1, could I use an SSD adapter card  in slot 3 and pick up some speed over using a SATA input for the SSD? I plan to use a 2TB Samsung 650 EVO.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 319
Message 7 of 8

Re: Erazer x510 PCIe adapter

The system specs linked to above, do not show PCIe SSD support (only SATA.)  You can try it, but do not be surprised if it does not work. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
turn11-Larry
Punch Card
Views: 304
Message 8 of 8

Re: Erazer x510 PCIe adapter

I appreciate your response. 

Larry

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors