Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-05-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 6

Fan speed spikes on start after BIOS update

2021-04-05, 16:49 PM

IdeaCentre 5-14IMB05 Desktop - Type 90NA.

Flashed BIOS update released on 2/26/2021. V50t-13IMB - 10 [64] - O4HKT2FA

Now when Windows comes out of sleep, cooling fan goes to high RPM then returns to normal. Think starting your car, pushing the gas pedal to the floor, then releasing it. Is there a way to change this back to a more normal setting?

Answer
Options

5146 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8301 Signins

131413 Page Views

• Views: 131413

Re:Fan speed after BIOS update

2021-04-09, 14:09 PM

@ waxc wrote:

Now when Windows comes out of sleep, cooling fan goes to high RPM then returns to normal.

A similar revision was done to the fan control of my ThinkCentre desktop.  It's my understanding that it was done to protect the fan (and make the system more reliable), when this type of variable-speed fan is started with the minimum speed input, it can occur that the fan does not start spinning, it stays stationary (potentially damaging the fan if it doesn't start spinning.)  Hence the momentary spin up, and then down to minimum speed. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.

Replies(5)
Options

2568 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

546 Signins

21344 Page Views

• Views: 21344
  • Message 2 of 6

2021-04-05, 20:20 PM

Hello @waxc,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I would recommend trying to load the setup defaults inside the BIOS.

This can usually be done by accessing the BIOS then pressing F9 then F10 to reset the BIOS to default settings.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500217-recommended-way-to-enter-bios-for-lenovo-desktops-all-in-ones-windows

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

04-05-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-04-06, 16:06 PM

Thanks for that, but it didn't seem to make a difference. The other thing that I notice is that Windows will awaken every so often, causing the fan to rev. I'm not sure the two issues are related; the latter could be a Windows issue that I never noticed since the fan never made so much noise prior to the BIOS update.

Options

3 Posts

04-05-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-04-06, 20:45 PM

After more investigation, the fan does spin up (randomly) while Windows is asleep (power button on computer is blinking). Also checked Event Viewer to confirm that Windows had been in sleep state during the time period.

Options

2568 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

546 Signins

21344 Page Views

• Views: 21344
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-04-08, 14:21 PM

Hello @waxc,

Sorry for the late reply.

Even if the system is asleep it is still technically considered on.

The fan activity may be a result of the system determining that it needs to cool down.

The reason the fans spin up randomly (running minimal or no programs at all) is because the fan speed is not linked to core temperature but it is controlled by the TDP of the machine this is expected in all CPU's. Same reason when choose CPU upgrade to consider the Thermal Design Power since the fan kicks in depending on its reading and not the actual load.

You could also try checking if Fast boot is turned on or off. Possibly changing this might resolve the issue.

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Answer
Options

5146 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8301 Signins

131413 Page Views

• Views: 131413
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-04-09, 14:09 PM

@ waxc wrote:

Now when Windows comes out of sleep, cooling fan goes to high RPM then returns to normal.

A similar revision was done to the fan control of my ThinkCentre desktop.  It's my understanding that it was done to protect the fan (and make the system more reliable), when this type of variable-speed fan is started with the minimum speed input, it can occur that the fan does not start spinning, it stays stationary (potentially damaging the fan if it doesn't start spinning.)  Hence the momentary spin up, and then down to minimum speed. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms