Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wilson_
Paper Tape
Views: 313
Message 1 of 6

H520g: Processor CPU upgrade, is Xeon possible?

Motherboard 90A3A9P, I'm trying to reach more information about this hardware, like which CPUs I can put on it, and if it need to update BIOS to do it. I would like to change the Intel Core i3-3220 3.3 GHz into a Intel Xeon E3 1270 3.4 Ghz. How can I know if the motherboard support it? Another problem is that some similar models of the desktop has some information about the CPUs that can be replaced, which they show just 3 of them (don't know if they support just these ones or it's just examples that can be replaced), all of them with TDP equal to 65W, my current has 55W and Xeon has 80W.

*Note: The manual of the model H520g doesn't has these information, it only shows how to replace, not the ones that can be replaced.

*Note: The manual shows that the maximum Ram that the motherboard support it's 8 Gb, but the hardware shows 16 Gb.

Mod:  edited Subject line to add a problem description

gypsyguest
What's DOS?
Views: 237
Message 2 of 6

Re: H520g: Hardware replacement

It probably will work, though the xeons were not validated on these motherboards. There aren't many online results from what I've found, but I've successfully replaced an I3-2120 in my m82 thinkcentre with a xeon e3-1240 v2. 

I'd suggest looking for a v2 version of the xeon rather than a v1 like you mentioned, however. The Ivy Bridge architecture will be more power efficient for just a few bucks more.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 228
Message 3 of 6

The ThinkCentre M82 has crossover with the ThinkStation E31, which does support Xeon processors.  The H520g has no similar crossover, and the chance that it would support a Xeon is remote.  The definitive list of processors that are known to work in your system is given in the 'FRU Lists' in the back of the H520g User Manual. 

f-m82 bios e31.JPGM82 BIOS download page

f-h520g processor list.JPGH520g User Manual - Chapter 10. FRU Lists - Processor section

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
gypsyguest
What's DOS?
Views: 225
Message 4 of 6

I stand corrected, thanks! 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 222
Message 5 of 6

No problem.  I appreciate your effort to assist. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Wilson_
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 6 of 6

I would like to reach Xeon, but i5 might handle it. Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors