cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IGSteamScrech
What's DOS?
Views: 188
Message 1 of 5

H520s - GT 1030 and iGPU multi-monitor support?

Hey! So recently, one of my family members has brought me a monitor that is a 4:3 VGA/DVI monitor, which the H520s has on its motherboard ports where the I/O shield is at. But I also have a GT 1030 (it isnt compatible with my PC but I found a workaround to make the GPU work on the PC using Device Manager). But, with that, the Intel Integrated Graphics doesn't work while the GT 1030 is plugged in, mostly being that the PC doesn't support multi-monitor support from HDMI via the GPU and the VGA coming from the iGPU on the CPU. Therefore I am asking, is there a way to make this work? Because I am curious since I want to do production with this, mostly being gaming and/or streaming if I get a more powerful CPU. Right now, the current CPU I have is the i5 2320.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 163
Message 2 of 5

Re: H520s - GT 1030 and iGPU multi-monitor support?

@IGSteamScrech wrote:

But I also have a GT 1030 (it isnt compatible with my PC but I found a workaround to make the GPU work on the PC using Device Manager)  ...   since I want to do production with this  ...  if I get a more powerful CPU.

I'm curious, how exactly did you get the GT 1030 to work just using Device Mngr?  And when you say "production", how do you mean?  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
IGSteamScrech
What's DOS?
Views: 159
Message 3 of 5

For the GT 1030 to work, I tried various methods of how can I fix the Error code 43 I had but it was no use. Then, I had an issue about Windows being zoomed in at the top left of the screen when using the mentioned GPU (although the iGPU works, but I mostly play games, so the 1030 was for that). It took me around 40 minutes to get the PC to work with the 1030, only with one downside: I can't turn it off. Meaning that if I turn it off, someone pulls the wall plug, or electricity shuts off at random, the PC will screw up causing that zoom problem again.

Process here is simple, all you need is the latest NVIDIA drivers (on an EXE), Display Driver Uninstaller, Device Manager, and knowledge of using Task Manager and experience on a zoomed in monitor.

1. Download the latest NVIDIA drivers, and open the EXE, let the whole process go until you reach the screen of which installation you'll go with (Driver + GFE) or (Driver).

2. Go to the folder where you extracted the NVIDIA drivers (in this case, C:/NVIDIA), and copy the NVIDIA folder to another directory (My Documents, Downloads, etc. it really depends on what you pick)

3. After you copied the extracted drivers to another directory, you can close the Installer, and proceed with the next step.

4. Make sure you have downloaded Display Device Uninstaller, if you do have it, open up Magnifier, put the magnifier to be docked and located on top of the screen. Then open up the Start Menu, press the power logo, then hold Shift, point your mouse at restart then right click the Restart button. You should be able to boot up into Advanced options.

5. If you know how to go to Safe Mode, then do it, I can't remember the whole process of selecting which is which.

6. After you chosen to open Safe Mode, wait a few minutes for Windows to show you which version of Safe Mode you want to open. In this case, the non-CMD and non-networking version Safe Mode (F4).

7. Once you are in the desktop, find DDU, and open it, and select the GPU section then select NVIDIA too. Once you did, do clean and restart. It should clean up, and then restart once its done.

8. Wait a few minutes again to launch Windows and once you load the Desktop, go to Device Manager (Start then type in Device Manager), open the section of Display Adapters, and select the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Once you did it, right click then left click the update driver button.

9. Select the bottom option of selecting a driver (by folder), then once you are there, click the browse button and click on the NVIDIA folder you copied to another directory, open it up and select the Display.Driver folder and press OK. You should be able to install, then wait.

10. This is mine, but I would unplug the Keyboard and Mouse, and other USB devices whenever it starts to install. Then wait a few minutes until it goes to a black screen, then goes back to another resolution. Most of the time this doesn't happen, to me, usually it goes to a black screen then back again at the top left zoomed screen. It takes a few tries, but once you got the full monitor showing up, it should be working, like how I did.

That's my workaround for the 1030.

As for the production side, sorry, my English is bad. I mostly wanted to say content creation for gaming. Lol.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 154
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for that detailed explaination.  Probably not what the average user wants to do to run this card, however it is an option.  Generally with home use systems, the IGP is disbled when a graphics card is installed, and I'm not aware of any way to bypass that. 

Regarding upgrading the processor, it looks like the i7-3770 would be an option. It was a popular chip at the time, with good resale availability now.  It would certainly increase the multi-thread performance considerably (well over 60%.)

One other question:  is the system able to sleep and resume repeatly without any issue? 

f-h520s, processor spec.JPG

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
IGSteamScrech
What's DOS?
Views: 148
Message 5 of 5

Dang, I was hoping there was a way to use both iGPU and the dGPU (Discrete/mounted GPU) into one.

Hm, that is also a good option, and I've also heard a Intel Xeon Quad Core E3-1230 V2 (4c8t) that apparently works on the H520s? 

And no, it doesn't sleep.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors