Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Psycholizard
Not applicable
Views: 9,262
Message 1 of 9

H530 Adding a Graphics Card.

Is it possble to add a graphics card to this new machine?  The motherboard requires a 14 slot power supply connector that's exotic and perhaps unique to Lenovo, the 280 watt power supply is underpowered, and there is no upgrade offered.  Most cards require at least 300watts.  This is very frustrating.  This new machine only delivers 2009 graphics, and might not even be fixable due to strange design.  There is a list of approved graphics cards in the manual, but I can't find them anywhere.  Please help.

Dbull
Not applicable
Views: 9,183
Message 2 of 9

Re: H530 Adding a Graphics Card.

It is possible. but they don't make it easy.  You will have to upgrade the power supply and you have two options: paying a ridiculous  price for Lenovo's 450 Watt one (over $400, if I remember right); or get any $30 500 W power supply and a power adapter cable converting the 14pin to 20/24 pins.

The only place I found one was here:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-14%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%283...

It was shipped from China using some combination of HongKong Express and FedEx Post and took over 20 days, but it does work.

Good luck.

Dbull
Not applicable
Views: 9,175
Message 3 of 9

Sorry, I may not have completely answered the question.  The list of supported graphics cards from Lenovo is very old and none of them add much additional capability.  I didn't find their support group very helpful on this topic.  They basically just cited the supported cards from their manual.

After the power supply upgrade, I put in a Geoforce 560TI, because I had one; liked it; and it was more than powerful enough for a video server.  I believe I descibed the steps I used for configuring that card, but it will probably be something similiar for others as well.  The good news if that I have been using it for recording and playback of TV and movies with no problems after finally wrestling it through.

Psycholizard
Not applicable
Views: 9,135
Message 4 of 9

Does it plug and play?  Or do you have to use BIOS?

Dbull
Not applicable
Views: 9,125
Message 5 of 9

You have to change the bios settings. See my initial blog entry for the settings I used. I suspect they will work for any Geforce card and maybe others as well. It would be a good place to start at any rate.

Sent from my iPad
Psycholizard
Not applicable
Views: 9,074
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for your help.  I kept the old power supply, and found a silent ASUS GT 630 that seems to be working fine.

Dbull
Not applicable
Views: 9,065
Message 7 of 9

Great, glad you got it worked out.

Sent from my iPad
Northlaker
Not applicable
Views: 6,399
Message 8 of 9

Hi, I just upgraded the PS on my H530 and then installed a Geforce GT730. It seems to work, but the installation disc program just will not run. Any ideas? I haven't changed BIOS or anything else.
wannabanana17
Not applicable
Views: 6,174
Message 9 of 9

I think I am having a similar issue as the original poster. I bought this H530 at a screaming price, $200 - i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD... All great. Tried to install my old PNY GT 430 and no power. Learned about the power supply issue, sourced an adapter from Hong Kong, got a power supply, re-installed the card, and it had power. Perfect. Went into BIOS and switched to PCIe from onboard graphics, and I got a black screen. Tried VGA, DVI, and HDMI just to be sure. Had to remove the card, go back into BIOS and revert to onboard graphics. Checked device manager and it saw no hardware changes. Tried to install the drivers from the GeForce website but it wouldn't let me since the computer didn't see my card. I thought maybe it just won't accept this card. I tried an HP card just to see, and same issue.

So, my questions are:

1) Am I trying to install the wrong drivers? My card is by PNY or so says the sticker on the back, but PNY's site makes no mention of this card, and every link I click takes me to GeForce' website.

2) Do I need just buy an entirely different video card and give up on this one I've been trying?

I just feel like there's something so simple I'm missing. I've used this card in two other PCs and it's given me no issues from day one.

Sorry for the long post here, I just thought I'd give as much information as possible to guarantee an accurate answer from you kind folks, if anyone is still around on this thread.

Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors