Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-23-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 6

IdeaCentre 5 14IMB05 Fan Running at High Speed

2021-06-07, 9:55 AM

My IdeaCentre is only 6 weeks old. Last night I heard the fan running in the middle of the night while the system was asleep. I ran a full set of hardware tests and the issue stopped. Tonight it did it again. I have performance set at balanced. Why would the fan be behaving this way when the system is supposed to be asleep? I had to wake it today, so I know it is sleeping properly. 

Options

4457 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

671 Signins

29345 Page Views

• Views: 29345
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:IdeaCentre 5 14IMB05 Fan Running at High Speed

2021-06-07, 12:49 PM

Hello @JoeBlow123,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Fans running while the machine is asleep is normal behavior basing this on other desktops I have observed.

This is due to the fans being system controlled meaning if it detects that the system needs cooling it will start up.

Is there anything wrong with how the fans sounded (ie grinding noises)?

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

05-23-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-06-07, 13:05 PM

There are no other sounds. Yes, the fan is controlled by temperature, but the whole point of sleep is to lower power consumption and therefore heat. Until yesterday I naively thought the system had no fan. This is the loudest thing in the room. My old Lenovo desktop is sitting right next to this new one and it has never made this much noise. The fan went quiet a minute after I posted the question. Doesn't seem right to me.

Options

7178 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29280 Signins

1677873 Page Views

• Views: 1677873
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-06-07, 17:51 PM

@ JoeBlow123 wrote:

My IdeaCentre is only 6 weeks old. Last night I heard the fan running in the middle of the night while the system was asleep. I ran a full set of hardware tests and the issue stopped. Tonight it did it again. I have performance set at balanced. Why would the fan be behaving this way when the system is supposed to be asleep? I had to wake it today, so I know it is sleeping properly. 

Good day.

Open a command prompt and run: powercfg /a then please post a screenshot of the output, please.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

4 Posts

05-23-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-06-08, 1:13 AM

Attached

Options

7178 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29280 Signins

1677873 Page Views

• Views: 1677873
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-06-08, 1:36 AM

Thanks.

As your screencap shows, when your machine sleeps it remains "Network Connected". I believe this is the default for Windows 10 Modern Standby. There a number of things that can wake the machine from its sleep state. Examples, in my experience, are things like an email client checking for new mail, or Windows Update querying the update servers.

There used to be a way, in Windows >> Settings >> System >> Power & Sleep, to disconnect from the network while in the sleep state, but is gone in newer versions. Not sure which was the last version where it was there.

In any case, there are other ways to set "Network Disconnected" in the Modern Standby sleep state. If you are running Win 10 Pro, you can do this via group policy settings.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms