Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
johnjones
Paper Tape
Views: 3,574
Message 1 of 5

IdeaCentre 510A - all types: Adding a M.2 SSD (PCIe, NVMe)

I just purchased this online as a gift. I'd like to know if it's possible to add an additional hard drive (SSD)? If so, what cables would I need to purchase for power?

Or is this system/power supply only capable of one hard drive at a time? 

*I did just see some info that says it has an M.2 port on the motherboard. Unfortunately, it does not say what type of connection that port is. There are two types I believe and Id need to know what type before I can order the SSD.  I know the average consumer doesnt care to know this stuff, but some of us, its be beneficial if Lenova provided easy access to motherboard diagrams as shipped and power supply connections available, if any

Mod:  edited the Subject line to expand the problem description

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,528
Message 2 of 5

Re: 510A-15ARR Adding hard drive

Hi johnjones,

Thanks for writing us again in our community forums. Upon checking, you may add a SSD, you may use a M.2 PCIe/NVMe (see the picture for reference). You don't need any cable since the M.2 SSD is connected directly to its motherboard. You may also check the Hardware Maintenance Manual page 34 on how install a SSD:https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/aio_510_510a_series_hmm_20180507.pdf

Let us know if you need anything else.

Regards!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,505
Message 3 of 5

The above photo is for the Intel spec 510A systems, your 15ARR has a AMD.  The specs are similar in having a M.2 slot, however the AMD systems have 2 lanes of PCIe while the Intel have 4 lanes.  Both would use the same Samsung 970 Evo or similar SSD card.

f-510a amd m.2 spec.png

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
johnjones
Paper Tape
Views: 3,487
Message 4 of 5

Thanks. Does the NVMe portion of that dictate the connection type?  It seems there are two main m.2 SSD connectors from my searches online. One of them has two notches. The one you referenced has one notch.  Im just trying to understand how you know that connection type.

Examples  https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Single-Sided-Express-MDNVME80-SBX-0256/dp/B077GZ7449

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1...

How can I be certain which is correct for this pc?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,477
Message 5 of 5

Because it is described as 'PCIe NVMe' in the spec I posted above.  Below is the spec of the 970 Evo, they are a match.  The other type of M.2 SSD card uses the much slower 'SATA' interface, and would have been described as such in the spec, if it used that interface. 

f-sam 970 evo spec.png

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors