cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gebhart25
Paper Tape
Views: 15,619
Message 31 of 85

Re: IdeaCentre 700 - 10 Pin Atx Connector?

Curious to how your project turned out, D4emios. If you were sucessful and have produced a video I might do this instead of upgrading the motherboard along with my PSU and GPU. Cutting up wires and sticking paperclips into sockets sounds pretty risky.

D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 15,618
Message 32 of 85

It's been working FLAWLESSLY since I completed the little project. Upgrading the motherboard? may as well just return the computer if you can, thats essentially just buying a whole new computer in my opinion, if you do thay though, youre going to want to purchase a retail license for windows, because the oem windows that came with the lenovo wont easily transfer over far as I have seen and been told, it still runs but there will be noticeable hiccups due to windows constantly reminding you to activate your product, or it may not even run at all (not too sure regarding the situations with those people in particular, as I have been able to stick an oem windows 7 on a hard drive in a different case and had it run just fine aside from it yelling at me to actibate every five minutes, which did cause several games to exit out during that process). As for the cutting wires, I'm in the process of editing the video, but I took it all step by step as I was making the changes. Its a lot cheaper than buying a whole new motherboard, gpu, and psu, AND having to purchase a new windows license. In total, it cost me 50 for the new psu, and 4 for the adapter. I will definitely post the video soon as it's done with editing. My camera did cut out about three quarters of the way thru, so thats why I havent posted the video yet, taking a bit of time to fill in the gaps. The entire project cost me about $55, minus the new video card, because I dont count upgrades as the cost of fixing Lenovo's mistake. There is a shorter video posted in this thread if you want to watch that in the mean time, it doesnt go into too much detail, but the video does tell you which wires are basicall no longer needed, and its a nice quick tutorial on basically whats being done here and how, what to do with the extra wires, and how the green and black wires were safely ground out in this process. My pc is now, on the stock motherboard, running some pretty high def stuff off a 600w evga psu, that is now powering an evga gtx 950 ssc gpu, and is soon to be powering a second hard drive. There is only one issue I found, and its most likely only going to end up being my issue: the gtx 950 was literally just a half inch off base of my original estimates, so I had to remove the connection for the front side usb and sd card ports. The front side audio, I am glad to say is still plugged in and working. The reason I had to do this was because of the way the connector was built, it has that weird angle in it, and the spacing just wasnt there for my new gpu to sit straight in the pci slot, it was off  center by about a few millimeters, which I go over in the video. Other than that little bit, she works like a true beast. The hardest part, was getting the connectors pulled out of the adapters 14-pin end in order to put them in the correct order corresponding with the lovely stock psu that lenovo was so kind enough to include with their product. In total, it took me about two hours, majority of the time was spent getting the dang wires out of the adapter. Other than that, everything else was fairly simple. As for the ground going from the green to the black wire. It is completely safe to do. All you are doing with that, is tricking the powersupply itself into turning on, despite the fact that several wires dont even plug in anymore, one of those wires, which isnt present on the stock psu, would normally tell the new psu to turn on when the power button was pressed. But because we are pulling wires out of the adapter, and not the PSU itself, the wires are still there on the psu, so if you dont ground out those two wires, the psu will "turn on", but it wont actually, "turn on" any of the components. Thats basically all the ground wire between those two wires is doing, nothing else, so it is perfectly safe. Just gotta remember to manually turn the psu on and off, and dont run anything but the GPU off of the psu, and by that I mean, dont plug in any of the other cables on the psu aside from the 24pin to the adapter, the 4pin cpu, and the appropriate power cable for the new gpu (if applicable). This is basically just so that all the drives safely shut down when windows does. You are going to have to take two steps to turn the computer on and off, but this is well worth it, at least for me it was. I'm sure there are plenty of alternate routes to upgrading, pc parts picker said that all the parts in the lenovo ideacentre only took 231w to run, which gives you a little wiggle room to upgrade if you dont want to deal with the psu situation. I'm sure someone can easily just replace the stock gt 730 with a name brand gt 730 or even gt 740. I was still able to play a heftily modded skyrim on lower settings as part of testing the stock parts, tried unigines heaven engine for benchmarking after I made some adjustments to the stock gpu, and it crawls even on low settings, so perhaps a non-stock gt 730 could perform slightly better? But anyways, now that I have the 950, the 730 is definitely sitting in the box unless it's absolutely positively needed at some point or another. In short, this is a simple, and cost effective fix to the issue at hand, as opposed to replacing the motherboard and then replacing everything along with it. Yes there are better skylake motherboards out there, but the added cost of having tk purchase a new windows license in order to get windows to work correctly, just isnt worth it to me, aside from the fact that it's just easier to build your own computer for around the same price if youre going to replace the motherboard in this thing. But thats just a matter of my personal opinion. I will post up the video as soon as possible, should be done by this afternoon. Current specs: evga 600w psu, evga gtx 950 ssc gpu with atx 2.0 cooling system built in (which, for just fans and a heatsink, that are pointed, mind you, directly at the case bottom, and have maybe less than two inches of clearance from the case bottom, actually manages to keep the gpu cool as hell even after having rub extensive benchmarking and stress tests.), 16gb (two 8gb sticks) of PNY anarchy ddr4 2133mhz RAM, the stock hard drive, stock dvd drive, stock motherboard, and the stock intel core i5-6400. Despite the fact that games-debate and several other sites have told me the CPU is a bottleneck in performance overall considering the current setup, I havent seen a single issue in performance. All in all, I managed to polish this turd of a computer Lenovo is hocking as "easy to upgrade", with very little money, and with very little work to boot.

Highlighted
Tylerm
Paper Tape
Views: 15,503
Message 33 of 85

Thank you for the info. Did you ever end up posting the video you mention?

D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 15,463
Message 34 of 85

Just an update here. Video is still in the process of being edited but I thought I'd at least share the important end of the connector. Four black ground wires, one green, one blue, and three yellow plus the paper clip ground betwee the black and green wires, the pinout is fairly simple. The hardest part, is popping the wires out in the first place. You cant see from the pics, but in one of the empty slots, sits the cut off red wire end that I couldn't for the life of me get removed. The unused wires are all separately wrapped with electrical tape, and then wrapped togethere with more electrical tape to avoid shorting out by touching each other or touching the case. I suggest doing what I am about to, and shrink wrap the ends just because I dont entirely trust the elctrical tape to hold up for extended periods of time. Also, the end of the connector that has the tape is actually going to be removed soon as its technically unnecessary, and I also messed up when de pinning and had to use the wrong side of the connector. On the left side of the motherboards connector, there looks to be two very important capacitors, that are uncomfortably close to the unused end, I fear that they may bend from repeated unplugging and plugging in of the psu as is needed for upgrading or maintenance inside the case. So i will be cutting off, (very carefully, the unused holes on the connector to give those capacitors some space back. Also, not sure if i warned people before, but be careful with what card you upgrade to...i got the evga gtx 950 ssc, it was a half inch too big, and I had to unplug the front side usb and sd card ports from the motherboars to get the card to sit straight. Further updates for today: i went in the case to begin improving airflow, and while attempting to move the wifi card antennae, both of them snapped off the card with very little effort (remember kids, when you buy a prebuilt for 600, youre getting the lovely $2 parts it's filled with.) Literally, I gently moved the antennae and snap, off they went....sooo there goes that.

D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 15,461
Message 35 of 85

And here it is...finished adapter end. You can do this easily by gently sticking pliers in the four empty holes and lightly working them off by twisting until the plastic starts to gently break away. I also use a file, and a small knife to cut the rest of the plastic off that didnt come off with the pliers, then used the file to smoother everything over real nice Smiley Happy

D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 15,459
Message 36 of 85

Quick question....where does this go? I'm rather unfamiliar with this particular wire, and it seems to lead to the front of the case at a dead end....needless to say...I am a bit rusty when it comes to fixing computers...been a while since I've owned a desktop.

gebhart25
Paper Tape
Views: 15,427
Message 37 of 85

I'm a little confused as to what to exactly do when it comes to modifying the adapter. Is it as simple as rearranging the pins in it to match the original 10pin ATX connector (using the wire colors as a guide) but leaving 2 of the wires out (insulating them of course)? Is breaking off part of the connector required or can you plug it in where the 4 plastic things hang off to the side? Where do you put the paper clip in exactly? I'm not very experienced when it comes to PC upgrades, I'm trying to get this figured out before I order parts so I know whether to just buy a motherboard or not.

msharsh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 15,401
Message 38 of 85

D4emios:

Don't worry, I had no idea what that cord was for either.

Looking on my own model, I find that cord is plugged into the motherboard at the corner which is nearest to your CD drive, at the plugin labeled THER HD. RThe internet says THER-HD is for the main temperature sensor. Oops! Better plug that back in! Smiley Tongue

gebhart42- its not necessary to cut anything, though it might take some time off the project. You will actually have 4 unused wires on the 14-pin end. Yes, you are just rewiring the adapter The paperclip goes from the green wire to the nearest black one. This is the adapter we ordered: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-Lenovo/dp/B00WE5KSFQ 

D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 15,369
Message 39 of 85

the tutorial I used for removing the pins, its a simple matter of using staples to depress the little, what would you call em, tabs that hold the wires in the connector itself while you gently pull on the other end to pull them out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXMwCQ9fIVM 

as for where the paperclip goes, you're going to stick one end in the green wire's hole, and the other in the black wire you're going to end up sticking in the hole next to it. Msmarsh has a posted a quicker video about this. I'm still fiddling through over 4 hours of footage.... here's his vid: https://youtu.be/IFXhWC8NUg8

D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 15,367
Message 40 of 85

thanks for that msharsh, I almost made a really big mistake then lol well, it's now plugged in.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors