cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brewtix
What's DOS?
Views: 7,930
Message 21 of 85

Re: IdeaCentre 700 - 10 Pin Atx Connector?

Mike_Cool ---- Aweome. Good luck with that 10-pin connector on Amazon. Hopefully it fits. To answer your questions:

And the mainboard pins only have 2 yellow pins, where did you have to take the extra yellow from?

I ended up using the 20/24 ATX (mainboard) pin as you mention here, and then I think I remember getting the extra yellow from an unused SATA coming out of the new PSU (My new PSU had 2 extra SATA lines - 2 more than I needed, since as you probably know, the Lenovo comes with a stock SATA line connected to the motherboard that powers the DVD player and any Hard Drives, and it's probably better to use this line than one coming straight out of the PSU so all connected devices turn off when the motherboard turns off.)

Also when you did the rewiring what did you do with the left over wires?

All leftover wires I wrapped a piece of electrical tape on their exposed ends and then used a zip tie to tie them together and shoved them in the area above my DVD player. I'm guessing if you really wanted to, you could cut them off at the base of the new PSU and not have to deal with excessive wirage. So long as none of the unused copper wires touch and short each other.

nei1_
Paper Tape
Views: 7,785
Message 22 of 85

Lenovo, Lenovo, Lenovo

A 10 Pin Atx Connector?

It's proprietary stuff like that which permanently turned me away from Dell.

Sigh...

Mike_Cool
Paper Tape
Views: 7,742
Message 23 of 85

What kind of stuff is Dell doing?

I haven't bought a dell in years...

I'd figure them & HP were pretty user accessible & non proprietary.

nei1_
Paper Tape
Views: 7,725
Message 24 of 85

I don't know what Dell is doing today.

Once upon a time, they had power supplies that couldn't be replaced with generic supplies.  And motherboards that had non-standard mounting holes -- or cases, depending on your perspective.  Repair and upgrading were especially problematic.

I guess today, I'd have to research Dell reviews about their innards, except I'd be more apt to build a computer, assuring everything is standard.

Alienware had a checkered past with reliability issues, which continued even after Dell bought them.

Not a lot of specifics.  Personally, I am convinced to stay away from 'em.  For what it's worth.

Recently, I thought that the next time I have a computer emergency, I'd find something besides a Dell to fill my niche.  Lenovo was at the top of the list.  Since you mention it, I haven't heard of any problems about HP, certainly not along the lines of the parts-compatibilty gossip.

setzovich_1
What's DOS?
Views: 7,635
Message 25 of 85

hey, i dont suppose you could upload a picture somewhere where i can take a look at what you've done, i am having the same problem and it sucks.. i'd like to just copy what you've done so i can put my new gpu in but you know, lenovo and falsely advertising my pc as upgradable.. thank you

D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 7,357
Message 26 of 85

I too would like to have an image of the process, or at the very least the final result as I made the mistake of purchasing the 700, and now can't return it, so I'd rather work on the fix you guys came up with rather than start all over from scratch with a new motherboard, etc....

msharsh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,329
Message 27 of 85

https://youtu.be/IFXhWC8NUg8

Thrown together, hope it helps you see it ain't that scary. Potato quality.

the right adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-Lenovo/dp/B00WE5KSFQ

D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 7,285
Message 28 of 85

you sir, are awesome. My adapter is coming in tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I bought a 600w psu and a new GTX 900 series card...wish me luck.

msharsh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,270
Message 29 of 85

There is one detail that others have mentioned that I forgot to go over in my video - you need to remove the extra wires you dont use, or insulate and isolate them - you dont want live, extra wires from the adapter contacting your PC or eachother. (I used duct tape.....) Good luck!

D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 7,256
Message 30 of 85

It comes in today. I'm going to make a video as I'm working on it. I'll post it up afterwards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors