cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D4emios
Paper Tape
Views: 5,590
Message 41 of 85

Re: IdeaCentre 700 - 10 Pin Atx Connector?

Oh and Gebhart, for removing the pins, ONLY REMOVE the ones on the 14 pin side of the 24 to 14 pin adapter you need to buy..do not touch the wires on the power supply.

gebhart25
Paper Tape
Views: 5,566
Message 42 of 85

I have all my parts in and I'm ready to start installing but after looking at my original PSU's power connector I'm not sure which pins go where on my adapter. Can someone who has done this give me a couple pictures showing where you put each pin when rewiring the adapter?

gebhart25
Paper Tape
Views: 5,555
Message 43 of 85

I might actually understand this now. Tell me if I'm wrong. One side of the adapter needs to be Yellow, yellow, yellow, Blue and the 5th pin have nothing in it and the other side needs to be black, black, black, black, green with a paperclip stuck in the green wire and the black one right next to it? I hope I'm right. I'm having trouble getting the pins out though, any suggestions? Do I need to be worried about slipping and sticking the paperclip/tool I'm using down the middle of the pin while trying to remove them? It has happened a couple of times. 

Here's a link to beautifully drawn picture of how I think I'm supposed to put the wires in: http://imgur.com/uQcpWuP

msharsh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,535
Message 44 of 85

Yes, lol, that is correct gebhart.

Getting the pins out is...well, I can't describe it without profanity. I don't think you damaged any of the pinouts.

Ideally you want this tool: https://www.amazon.com/Molex-Deluxe-Pin-Extractor-093/dp/B000NBU22W?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

or something like it. However, I couldn't find a radioshack with one in stock.

Molex connectors have two little 'wings' which are what allows them to clip into place. Heres a reference: https://www.amazon.com/Molex-14-20-Gauge-Pins-0-093/dp/B005VG6CT6/ref=pd_sim_23_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41mA1...

Without the tool, you pretty much have to bend those wings inwards until nearly flat on both sides - then you can slide em out. I bent em out into wing shapes after, again, carefully, and they did in fact click back into place in the new configuration. You can also try to devise your own solution, but really, ideally, you need the tool or a heck of a lot of patience.

gebhart25
Paper Tape
Views: 5,453
Message 45 of 85

Thanks everyone for answering my stupid questions. I followed what you said and my computer has been working great with a new 970 installed. The only drawback to this solution is the time it takes to rearange the pins and you have to manually turn off the power supply after you turn the PC off, a small price to play for avoiding a new motherboard purchase.

Nskarcher
What's DOS?
Views: 5,234
Message 46 of 85

Hey so I am experiencing the same issues everyone else has here, but instead of trying to order an adapter I wanted to try your version of the fix. Is there any way you can post photos of the final product?

gebhart25
Paper Tape
Views: 5,228
Message 47 of 85

I ordered the adapter and used that. I definitely recommend using the adapter. If you want I can upload images of that. 

mikeanthony321
What's DOS?
Views: 5,133
Message 48 of 85

Please, please, please help me here.  I have the same model of computer here that everyone's discussing, and I tried to upgrade the GPU to the GTX 960.  It required more power, so I installed the EVGA Bronze 600W PSU.  I used the entire procedure mentioned earlier where I purchased the 24 to 14 pin adapter, rearranged the wires, and then paper-clipped the green wire with one of the black ones next to it.  The order, from bottom to top, of the first column is black-black-black-black-green.  The second column, from bottom to top, is BLANK-yellow-yellow-yellow-blue.  I taped off the extra wires.  However, when I boot the computer, the fans on everything will run for about three or four seconds, and then shut off again.  The screen never turns on.  Did I get the order wrong, or could the pins be overly mutilated from trying to get them out before?

gebhart25
Paper Tape
Views: 5,127
Message 49 of 85

The pins on my addapter got pretty messed up when I removed them. I doubt that's your problem unless you really messed them up.

http://imgur.com/GO9JGBq

A picture to show you how the pins should be arranged. Hope I helped.

mikeanthony321
What's DOS?
Views: 5,117
Message 50 of 85

Ah, yes, that is the order I have them in.  Thank God I got that part correct.  The fans on my GPU seem to be the first ones to die each time.  Is 600W not good enough for the 960?  The instructions said that it recommended 400W.  Also, the PSU manual said not to attempt to connect 8-pin PCI-E connectors to 6-pin slots without first detaching the extra pins.  Could that be it?  My GPU is plugged in like this.

image.jpgBoth PCI-E connectors have 2 spare pins that hang off to the side.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors