cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jegillis
Paper Tape
Views: 12,757
Message 11 of 85

Re: IdeaCentre 700 - 10 Pin Atx Connector?

No reason to shock yourself, get the 24 to 14 pin adaptor, you will need to reposistion each of the wires in the 14 pin to match the 10 pin layout (you wont need 3 of them) Cut off 4 of the pins, short pwr_on to ground (paper clip) then plug it in. If done right you will not be shocked and your board will not fry. BE CAREFUL that you get your wires in the right spot so you don't fry your computer.

supermoses
Paper Tape
Views: 12,732
Message 12 of 85

thanks jegillis you're the man i will get back to ya when all is a success . wish me luck !

jkmoore
What's DOS?
Views: 12,605
Message 13 of 85

jegillis - Greatly appreciate your efforts in solving this problem!  My adaptor cable will arrive on Tuesday and I plan to make the swap.  I had a few questions for you...  when the wires are in the 10 pin connector, which ones need the paperclip connection? What color lines are the pwr_on and ground?  You mentioned that this will keep the drives powered constantly - would they if you keep the SATA cable power tied to the motherboard vs the PSU? 

Thanks!

gcudawilson
What's DOS?
Views: 12,531
Message 14 of 85

Hello,

Just recently found myself with the same problem. Trying to upgrade my graphic card but need larger power supply. Looked everywhere for an adapter or power supply with no luck. I was curious if you tried putting in the cable and if all went well? Thanks

jkmoore
What's DOS?
Views: 12,467
Message 15 of 85

I searched for the wiring diagram and found the schematic.  Green is the pwr_on, black is the ground.   When you rewire the adaptor from 14 to 10, just match the colors and stick a paperclip in the green and nearest black openings.   Works like a charm!

gcudawilson
What's DOS?
Views: 12,453
Message 16 of 85

I ended up calling Lenovo tech support to see if they offer a upgrade power supply or can offer any help. They said only the power supply that came with the machine is all they can offer. I told the tech support that their product is falsely advertised that its upgradeable due to having the special plug.
I also took the power supply into Bestbuy's Geeksquad. They tried telling me its a 20 pin connector? I ended up returning the computer back to bedtbuy. We shouldn't have to rework cables and plugs while the computer is new and under warranty. Seems risky. Glad some of you had success with doing so.
xtagme
What's DOS?
Views: 12,421
Message 17 of 85

I tried the cable from moddiy, 24 to 10, but connections were super loose and still can't get computer to turn on. I am past my 15 days with best buy return policy, so I guess I'm goin to just swap out to a more compatible motherboard. Any thoughts? Thanks
brewtix
What's DOS?
Views: 12,173
Message 18 of 85

Following the advice found here, I shorted the green 'power_on' wire with the black ground wire. Posting my [as-of-yet] success to help guide others with this annoying problem.

A few things I'll add:

(1) Instead of buying the 14-pin connector as someone had suggested, I ended up using the 10-pin connector that came with my stock PSU. I cut the wires at the base of the unit and just matched colors (yellow to yellow, black to black, blue to blue) with the new 500W PSU I purchased.

(2) Instead of using a paperclip as suggested, I fused a spare/unused black wire with the green wire, both of which came out of the new PSU. This effectively keeps the power supply on at all times (although the computer/motherboard itself still turns off/on via the usual methods.)

(3) This might be with my unit only, but there was a weird 4-pin CPU connector with orange and black wires. This confused me, since I think the standard colors for a 4-pin CPU connector are black and yellow-with-black-stripes or black and yellow-with-blue-stripes. Conclusion: don't get confused by the orange -- the connector was the same thing as the standard 4-pin CPU connector, which should come with any new standard PSU. So you should be able to plug the CPU connector from the new PSU right in. 

As far as the final outcome:

PROS: Computer works! And still turns on/off via power button and using the operating system shut-off.

CONS: With the exception of the motherboard and things connected to the motherboard, anything connected to the new PSU directly stays on at all times (but your new PSU will probably have an I/O switch on its back so just use that sucker when your operating system is otherwise off.) For me, the only thing connected to the power supply directly is the graphics card, so really, not a big deal. 

msharsh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 12,145
Message 19 of 85

Following the paper clip fix with a 24-to-14pin adapter as outlined by the user jegillis worked exceptionally well. Expect to become intimate with your molex connectors.

Mike_Cool
Paper Tape
Views: 12,051
Message 20 of 85

(1) Instead of buying the 14-pin connector as someone had suggested, I ended up using the 10-pin connector that came with my stock PSU. I cut the wires at the base of the unit and just matched colors (yellow to yellow, black to black, blue to blue) with the new 500W PSU I purchased.

If the wires are

-YYY(BL)

BBBBG

And the mainboard pins only have 2 yellow pins, where did you have to take the extra yellow from?

Also when you did the rewiring what did you do with the left over wires?

Is there any pictures or video you can show what you did?

I plan on ordering the 10 pin connector & taking the 24 pin connector off a 500w PSU & keeping the stock PSU as an emergency spare.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1E49GC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A1THAZDO...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors