cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanmgillespie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,387
Message 1 of 6

IdeaCentre 700 w/ RTX 2070: 10-Pin power supply PSU connector / adapter?

Hello!

New to upgrading. Trying to install a EVGA RTX 2070 with an EVGA 650W PSU in Ideacenter 700. The motherboard is not cooperating as it has a 10 pin + 4 pin connection. Just ordered a 24pin to 10 pin adapter from amazon (other threads from 2015 did not have that avaialble). Some warnings from other adapters reviews (that I did not order) about frying the motherboard and / or psu with this type of connector. Anyone have any experience here?

Also says I will need to turn the power supply off manually because it will always be "on" with this adapter. Seems strange in 2018, or am I asking too much from the Lenovo 700? It still has a decent CPU speed (i7 at 3.4ghz I think) and is working great with stock parts and an upgraded GTX 1060. Am I pushing it? Thoughts?

Thank you,

Sean

Mod:  edited Subject line to add graphics card model number

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,358
Message 2 of 6

Re: IdeaCentre 700: 10-Pin power supply PSU connector / adapter?

Hi seanmgillespie,

I've also tried to search for adapters and found that disclaimer from the resellers about Lenovo motherboards. Possible that this is caused by the orientation of the pin-outs which shorting the PSU to always stay on.

I'm not sure if you're referring to MODDIY cable adapter that is no longer available. But I've found that thread and most of the other customer also recommend that brand as there are no issues with it. You may try to contact their support team and check with them if they no longer manufacture that same type of adapter.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

seanmgillespie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,349
Message 3 of 6

Ordered this one. No horror stories. Frustrating to have to rely on third party solutions though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBRR9E1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

seanmgillespie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,344
Message 4 of 6

Another thought, could I check the current with a volt meter from the current psu and new psu with the adapter? If those 8 pins output same volts should work, yes?

seanmgillespie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,313
Message 5 of 6

Got cable from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBRR9E1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tested voltage on old psu and new 650w (all 12v and ok). Runs fine with a new RTX 2070 and 650w PSU. Super cramped inside the case, but working well. Had to lose the USB 3.0 jacks in the front of case. USB high profile cable sticks out from motherboard and hits GPU. Looking for replacment low profile one if anyone knows of one.

Sean

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 745
Message 6 of 6

How are the temps with that card? 

(btw:  other systems known to work with RTX 2070 are Y710 Cube, C730, T730.)  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors