Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c_avila1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,850
Message 1 of 4

IdeaCentre 720 - Ryzen 7 Cooler / Heatsink Upgrade

I recently purchased an IdeaCentre 720 that utilizes the AMD Ryzen 7 - 1700 CPU and an AMD Radeon RX 480 GPU. The computer gets extremely hot while playing video games. I am concerned that the tiny OEM cooler / heatsink is not adequate for the Ryzen 7 CPU. I spoke to an experienced computer tech who stated that Lenovo makes motherboards to their own specifications and do not use standard size mounting brackets for the CPU cooler. Please advise if the mounting brackets are standard size for the AM4 socket or will I need a special mounting kit. What options do I have for upgrading the CPU cooler / heatsink?

Motherboard model: AM4MH Ver. 1

(I'm interested in the Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 because it's low profile will easily fit in the IdeaCentre 720 case without clearance issues.)

Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,786
Message 2 of 4

Re: IdeaCentre 720 - Ryzen 7 Cooler / Heatsink Upgrade

It's difficult to change the CPU cooler on a Lenovo to a different type because the BIOS is closed and the fan control can't be modified to suit the characteristics of the new cooler.   You'd be better off spending that money to add a graphics card, that way the heat load is spread over 2 processsors and 2 fans, and the fan control of the graphics card can generally be altered by using the app from that card's manufacturer.   Since you have an AMD processor, I suggest you search for which AMD graphics cards have been used with that system. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
supermango
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,762
Message 3 of 4

If it's overheating while playing games, I'm assuming it does NOT allow overclocking. Does anyone know for sure?

Here are the different AM4 mobos: A320, B350, & X370

Does anyone know which one it is? The 320 does not support OC'ing.

And would be curious to know if you ever replaced the cooling system in here. Would be interested in doing that as well.

c_avila1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,725
Message 4 of 4

I'm not going to bother replacing the heat sink. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors