Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex_P1
Paper Tape
Views: 773
Message 1 of 11

IdeaCentre Q180 shuts down few seconds after powering up

I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre Q180 (Machine type 3110).

I use it mostly for microsoft office (Word & Excel) and basic internet use.

A couple of weeks ago shutted down while I was using it.

Afte that, I could power it up but only for a few seconds and then shuts down again.

I left it for a whole day and tried again with no luck.

I opened it, changed hdd, still shuts down. Tried also with a different memory stick, no luck either.

It stays open for about 10 seconds, the screen shows the boot screen but shuts down before I can do anything (go to bios etc).

Any thoughts?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 759
Message 2 of 11

Re: IdeaCentre Q180 shuts down few seconds after powering up

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Given the age of the system I would check the power supply. It maybe failing.  I'm not an owner of your model, but from reviewing it I assume you have a laptop style power adapter that plugs into the computer.  Written on that power adapter will be the input and output voltages.  Use a voltmeter to see if the adapter is outputting the required voltage which should be 19 or 20 volts from the center hole.  If you don't have a voltmeter then see if a local computer repair center will check the adapter for you. 

For future reference I have included a link below to your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual which you may find of use..

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_ideacentre_q180_hmm_20120612.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Alex_P1
Paper Tape
Views: 752
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your quick response. I'll check everything and reply here.

Alex_P1
Paper Tape
Views: 745
Message 4 of 11

The power brick seems fine. The output is 19V 3,42A at the label and the voltometer shows a constant 19,31V.

I tried some boots and time it, EVERY time shuts down just after 21 seconds.

Also I noticed that the cpu fan, few seconds after boot, "tries" to move but doesn't. Could it be a faulty fan and shuts down as a precaution? And, if so, is there a way to check/bypass that so I know that that's the problem?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 733
Message 5 of 11

It is possible the fan has failed and thus is preventing boot up.   I assume the fan has been cleaned or is clean.  Extra weight of dust can cause bearing failure and / or reduce its speed. If it hasn't been cleaned, give it a try.  I would also spin the fan by hand to see how easy or difficult it moves.  Maybe a little exercise will get it back running temporarily for trouble-shooting purposes.  If the fan works longer after a little excercise then you might try a very small drop of oil on the fan shaft if you can access it.   On some fans you can peel back the label on top of the fan and access the shaft.

As far as by-passing the fan, the only thing I can think of is to disconnect it from the motherboard and see if the computer exhibits a different kind of behavior than what you have been seeing.   There is no BIOS settings to eliminate or by-pass any fan checks at boot up so that isn't a work around. 

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Alex_P1
Paper Tape
Views: 723
Message 6 of 11

I have cleaned the fan, doesn't look like something prevent it from spinning (when I was using compressed air to clean it, the fan was spinning effortless). I even tried to spin it manually (I was blowing on it) and start the pc, no luck.

I disconected it from the M/B and still have the same behaviour, after 21 seconds the system shuts down.

Is it possible to be something else besides the fan and I am focused on the wrong part?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 719
Message 7 of 11

You could also try disconnecting the hard drive, optical drive, wlan card and remove the memory to see if it makes a difference with boot up.  If it does then re-connect each item one at a time starting with the memory and boot up.  If the problem returns then suspect the last item that was connected as being faulty. 

The fan still maybe a good possibility if disconnecting hardware didn't provide any positive results.  I did a little searching and came across this posting about another Q model.  Here is the link.....

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/Need-Help-with-finding-replacement-CPU-f...

The Internet is a good source for replacement fans if you decide to try a replacement.  You don't need the complete fan and heat sink, just the fan.  Just do a search on "Lenovo Q180 cpu fan" 

I assume you have it already, but if not, here is the link to your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual......

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_ideacentre_q180_hmm_20120612.pdf

Alex_P1
Paper Tape
Views: 699
Message 8 of 11

Hi,

I tried everything you suggested with no luck.

My only option I think is to change the fan. I found a replacement and order it.

I'll update this topic with my findings.

Thanks again for your help.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 693
Message 9 of 11

You're very welcome.

Yes, please keep us updated as to the outcome.

Alex_P1
Paper Tape
Views: 659
Message 10 of 11

Update:

I changed the fan yesterday and everything is working fine.

Thank you Majestic for your time!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors