Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-06-2012

San Diego, CA U.S.A.

5 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 1

IdeaCentre RAM upgrade gives blank screen

2012-08-06, 22:33 PM

Just purchased an used IdeaCentre Q110 from eBay. It only came with 1GB on-board memory module. There is a memory socket for a memory upgrade. I went online and purchased 2GB  of PC2-6400, which should be compatible with system. I inserted it correctly, it's all the way in. Barely any gold plates are showing. I press the On button, then computer boots, but nothing on the screen. I take the RAM module out, and it boots just fine.

I also borrowed a 1GB PC2-5300 from my buddy, thinking it was the PC2-6400 being too fast, but the PC2-5300 does the same thing.

To further investigate this, I unplugged the CMOS battery for 5 min's, actually 30 min's, and booted computer backup with 2GB stick in there, and it didn't boot up again.

I wanted to ask, any suggestions? Is there any updated BIOS for this system? I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre Q110 (3016). I searched the Lenovo site, but doesn't seem to be any BIOS updates for any IdeaCentre at all. Do you think the memory socket is corrupt? How can one tell? I have inspected it, and it looks like all connectors are there. I guess that's not how you inspect it, but whatelse can I do?

I would like this system to have more RAM than just 1GB on-board. It's a little slow for what I use it for.

Other than that, I love it as a multimedia system, with Ubuntu installed. Works GREAT!

Thanks,

Ponch

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)