cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uplink
Punch Card
Views: 880
Message 1 of 9

IdeaPad Q180 brand new vs. full HD movies [youtube, vlc, kmplayer, everywhere] + slow response

Greetings!

I have purchased new Lenovo IdeaPad Q180. Activated the windows, installed the classics like ffdshow, AC3 filter, xvid and vlc, kmplayer and bsplayer w/o codecs. In general predecesor of this computer was small ASRock with iON 1 chipset, 550 CPU, in general about 25% of the Q180s pure power. ASRock iON 330 was playing full HD everywhere without hesitation.

Whereas Lenovo IdeaPAD Q180 is:

• totally bad in YT movies, 720 & 1080 is totally of, it's playing like 0,01 fps, sound is totally distorted
  • vlc player is from time to time allright, but sound is totally of
  • kmplayer is totally off
  • bsplayer is totally of
  • I also tried wmhpc and some other players, all are the same bad

I've had three experience of "driver has stopped forking for AMD display driver and it has recovered" to my actual knowledge, this is mostly hardware issue. I was on RMA with the Q180 and they said that the error didn't demonstrate.

Please advise what should I do? It's 400 euro, I have unfunctional PC and RMA don't want to change piece for piece either, they totally don't care whether it plays HD/FULLHD movies or not.

And also, the movie is TOTALLY slow, much, much, much, much slower than ASRock Ion 330.

Please help me, I'm desperate,

Kind regards

Bryan

P.S.: HDD Full surface scan is allright, s.m.a.r.t readings are allright, ATTO benchmark readings are allright.

daglesj
SCSI Port
Views: 854
Message 2 of 9

Re: IdeaPad Q180 brand new vs. full HD movies [youtube, vlc, kmplayer, everywhere] + slow response

Well it appears that Lenovo Support does not want to get involved in video/gpu issues with the Q180.

So we can only summise that its a flawed unit from birth. Many of us have had video/Flash issues with the Q180 and Lenovo Support have just refused to respond (speaks a thousand words).

It's faulty goods so I would try for a return/refund and buy something else less gimped.

Chances are a BIOS update would fix a lot of it but as it's an old unit now that seems unlikely.

uplink
Punch Card
Views: 834
Message 3 of 9

Re: IdeaPad Q180 brand new vs. full HD movies [youtube, vlc, kmplayer, everywhere] + slow response

Thank You many times. I was searching for such an andswer. I'm gonna forward it to my supplier and let him know.

Thank You once more,

regards

Bryan

uplink
Punch Card
Views: 823
Message 4 of 9

One more thing, is Q190 als so crapped out?
daglesj
SCSI Port
Views: 799
Message 5 of 9

Don't know but would you now take the risk to buy one?

Didn't think so.

See Lenovo, once bitten...
uplink
Punch Card
Views: 784
Message 6 of 9

You're right, I guess I'll go after Intel NUC :/

uplink
Punch Card
Views: 708
Message 7 of 9

Greetings, I have just one more question. After "fixing" in service, they returned me the Q180 and the FULL HD works as as, in some players. Though, the question is, in comparison with A330 iON it performs like crap. How is that possible?
daglesj
SCSI Port
Views: 674
Message 8 of 9

I think the issue is that the Q180 should offload all the HD video processing to the 6450 GPU much like the ION boxes where it pushes it all to the Nvidia GPU. The 6450 is a more powerful and more modern GPU than that in the ION IIRC.

However, the Q180 is a broken design and often can't do it so the CPU it left struggling to process the HD video and the Atom isn't strong enough.

It's something that could be fixed with a BIOS update but Lenovo isn't interested. They have your money....

uplink
Punch Card
Views: 575
Message 9 of 9

Thank You for Your reply!

Well Lenovo in general is history for me. I'm using other custom computers from smaller companies atm. that was the last Lenovo that was bought under my supervision, though, their Bxxx, Yxxx, Zxxx, Exxx, Uxxx, Sxxx, notebooks and ultrabooks are allright, what about contstruction and "drivers support", but I moved the eye of Sauron to HP Elite/Envy/Pro, because HP actually listens [sometimes], Lenovo doesn't give a **bleep**, I just don't understand why, but maybe I do, as You wrote, they've had my money, not anymore...

regards

uplink

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors