cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kenilman
Not applicable
Views: 612
Message 1 of 12

Ideacentre 510S081SH with HDD, can I add a SSD?

I have a 510S with an HDD and I want to add a SSD drive. Is there space to install one? Looking at the Hardware manual there are free SATA ports. If the 510s supports an aditional SSD does it have to be a SATA drive, and are there any recommendations on the best SSD to install?

Thanks 

EyeDeeNo
Not applicable
Views: 588
Message 2 of 12

Re: Ideacentre 510S081SH with HDD, can I add a SSD?

Greetings and welcome to the Lenovo forum,

From what I observed looking at the 510S Hardware Maintenance Manual there is only space for one drive within the removable drive bracket plus it looks like the SATA power cable only provides two connection,

283719_2235_draft

but there are three SATA headers on the motherboard so one could feasibly add another drive and SSDs do not draw much current so the 180w power supply should be able to power one with no problems.

Just would need to get a SATA power splitter and finding a way to secure the SSD is optional also don't forget to get a SATA data cable will be needed as well.

Kenilman
Not applicable
Views: 569
Message 3 of 12

Thank you, that is very helpful. Could you explain exactly what you mean by "finding a way to secure the SSD is optional "

Thanks

Highlighted
EyeDeeNo
Not applicable
Views: 562
Message 4 of 12

Yes, if the removable drive bracket does not have (and I have no idea myself) previsions to screw down a 2.5" drive than it would need to either remain unattached or would have to be custom fasten to something somehow but being that it is a solid state drive there are no moving parts inside them to cause an read or write error there is no need to worry about the drive it self and that is why I said "optional" just as long as it is tucked in and unable to strike any other components within the system if the system was to be abruptly moved or shaken.

Edit: Could maybe use something like this 2.5" to 3.5" mounting bracket and attach it to the chassis.

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 544
Message 5 of 12

Another option is to use "Industrial Strength" Velco, like this Interior/Exterior (4" x 1" strips) product, use one across the middle to secure the SSD directly to a suitable place on case.   Looking at the photo, there may be enough space in front of the motherboard on the side of the case, leave plenty of room to attach the data and power connectors.  Or on the bottom of the case. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Kenilman
Not applicable
Views: 494
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for the information. 

Is it possible to remove the ODD and use the bay to install an SSD with suitable spacers/brackets?

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 491
Message 7 of 12

Yes, 5.25" to 2.5" brackets are available.  Just make sure you get a bracket that is the correct height, as some optical drives are 'Slim', about half the height of a regular, older optical drive. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
EyeDeeNo
Not applicable
Views: 487
Message 8 of 12

Optical drive to SSD

Edit: I am old school and still buy and use CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray so it pains me in a way to see people abandoning optical drives.

Kenilman
Not applicable
Views: 463
Message 9 of 12

Just to clarify a couple of points.

The ODD is a "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUD0N Laptop Internal Super Multi 8X DVD RW DL Burner Dual Layer 24X CD-R Recorder 9.5mm SATA Tray-Loading Slim Optical Drive" and the only information about the interface on it  is "SATA" but it does say if it is 1, 2, or 3. 

The hardware guide for the 510S081SH shows three SATA connectors on the motherboard all of which are SATA 3.0

1) Is it correct to assume that the current SATA connection for the ODD is SATA 3? Not sure what else it could be.

SATA.jpgConnectors on ODDFrom the photo in a previous post I have cut the part with the connections of the ODD. 

2) I Assume that these are the Power and Data conectors. Can these simply be be reused on a SDD which would replace the ODD?

So all that I would require is a SDD and a cage which fits where the ODD currently is connected into the case?

Thanks again.

EyeDeeNo
Not applicable
Views: 457
Message 10 of 12

Q: 1) Is it correct to assume that the current SATA connection for the ODD is SATA 3? Not sure what else it could be.

A: It is just a Serial AT Attachment (SATA) interface and the SATA I/II/III revisions has more to do what the motherboard has.

Q: 2) I Assume that these are the Power and Data connectors. Can these simply be be reused on a SDD which would replace the ODD?

Yes and also yes.

Yeah there is no such thing as a SATA I/II/II data cable all they do is make a connection between ports and the only thing that is different is with SATA III they added a latch for locking into port.

As for the SATA power cable I not to familiar with but looks like it provides 5 volts and ground as that ODD is intended to go in a mobile device I would assume will power a SSD as they only need 5v and why use them with USB with no need for a separate power supply.TbvSy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors