11-14-2018

US

3 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 4

Ideacentre 710-25ish Several Issues

2018-11-14, 4:43 AM

Hello everyone, I was hoping I can get some suggestions for my issues.

Here are the specs of my Lenovo desktop tower:

Machine Type Model: 90FB0001US - 710-25ish 

BIOS version: FWKT54A

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz

Motherboard: LENOVO-SKYBAY

Hard Drive: Seagate-ST1000DX001-SSHD-8GB-Z4YDYFFN

Memory: 2x4GB - DDR4 - 2133MHZ

The first issue that I am having is that there is a vibration sound coming from the computer, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the hard drive. I opened it up and pulled out the caddy, I can see that because it's a toolless caddy, there seems to be space between the drive and the caddy itself. 

Does anyone have a solution to this? I've looked up hard drive screws and spacers, but there's no way to tell if any of them will fit. 

The second issue is that I am looking to upgrade my drive to a SSD drive, any recommendations? Black Friday is coming soon and I was hoping to find a good deal. 

Lastly, I have 8 gigs of ram right now, two sticks of 4 gigs. The max allowed is 32gb, if I were to add more memory, do I have to add multiples of 4gb? If I added 2 more sticks, I'd only get 16 gbs total. I was hoping to add 2x8gbs and get 16 more added on. Does that make sense? Sorry, I get lost in my own ramblings sometimes lol. 

Thanks for any help I can get!

Options

165 Posts

08-02-2018

US

182 Signins

870 Page Views

• Views: 870
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideacentre 710-25ish Several Issues

2018-11-14, 12:22 PM

Hi djrnzy,

Welcome to the community forums!

Please check if there are lose screws that may be causing the vibration. Another way to isolate is to remove the hard drive then turn on the laptop and check if the vibration is coming from the fan or if there's anything else causing it aside from the hard drive.

For your second concern, any SSD brand will work as long as it's 2.5" inches SATA. Please check the hardware maintenance manual here for reference. You may also consider checking Samsung Evo series for the brand.

Lastly, if you want to maximize the total memory capacity of your unit with the current memory that you have, you have an option to add two more 8GB which will give you a total of 24GB.

Or, remove the current two 4 GB and replace them with four 8 GB to give you a total of 32 GB.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

11-14-2018

US

3 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-11-15, 2:24 AM

Thanks for your response! It's a desktop tower...not a laptop. There aren't any screws for the drive, just one of those blue toolless brackets. Do you think the center part would fit a 2.5" drive without any adapters? I see that there are holes for the screws. 

Options

402 Posts

08-02-2018

US

163 Signins

956 Page Views

• Views: 956
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-11-15, 4:14 AM

Sorry for the confusion. If you're going to replace the built in hard drive you have, you will need an adapter or SSD caddy since the built in is 3.5" in size or if you can find a 3.5 SSD, you don't need an adapter or caddy. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save