Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarexpert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,874
Message 1 of 19

Ideacentre 720 Enable virtualization

I have this problem also on  an Ideacentre 720 18ASU.  After spending over an hour with tech support, it appears that the BIOS has no selection to enable virtualization.  Windows 10 task manager says it is disabled.  Why would anyone not want virtualization enabled on an 8 core processor?  Running virtualbox in 64 bit mode is one of the reasons I chose this computer over less capable ones.
Is there any way to enable this?  Is a bios update in the works to do this?
The machine has the appropriate AMD support chips, so it should be hardware capable.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,819
Message 2 of 19

Re: Ideacentre 720 Enable virtualization

If there is no option under CPU configuration to enable "SVM Mode", it is probably going take a BIOS update to be able to configure that feature.    According the the Psref for that system, Lenovo chose to use the rather choked down AMD B300 chipset, so that may part of the problem. 

There is a bios update on the website (version O38KT22A) but unfortunately Lenovo chose not to include any release notes in its readme.txt files, so there is no way to tell what the update addresses, so I guess they expect everyone to call support to find out if the BIOS update is worth the risk.

Good Luck,   

Sarexpert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,756
Message 3 of 19

The August bios update has no virtualization option.
Zaklinky
What's DOS?
Views: 3,595
Message 4 of 19

same

Zaklinky
What's DOS?
Views: 3,554
Message 5 of 19

when will have bios update for Enable virtualization?

BABUSHKA667
Paper Tape
Views: 3,404
Message 6 of 19

I did update the BIOS version 12/25/17, and it still doesn't have virtualzation enble. On the AMD website states that 1700 series does support virtualization.

Sarexpert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,363
Message 7 of 19

Why would people want an 8 Core processor on a non-gaming desktop if they didn't want virtualization? C'mon Lenovo, unleash your machine!
gbomar
Paper Tape
Views: 3,348
Message 8 of 19

I also installed the 12/25/2017 BIOS update for my 720-18ASU with the same result (ie, there is still no virtualization option).  I had one ray of hope when I noticed that they renamed the "Credential Guard" feature to be "Device Guard" with that update, and the text by Device Guard said that it enabled several security features, one of which was virtualization.  Unfortunately, I enabled Device Guard, saved, and cycled the power completely off/on as one post suggested, and booted back into Windows 10 only to see Task Manager reporting that virtualization was still disabled.  I would really like to hear about a solution, or a more fruitful BIOS update, if anyone has it.

NorbertGorzalka
What's DOS?
Views: 3,047
Message 9 of 19

We are having the very same problem. Bought 3 machines for our developers... @Lenovo: Pls. fix this asap or we'll need to return the hardware.
halek
What's DOS?
Views: 2,568
Message 10 of 19

Are there any updates on the issue?

It is very disappointing to have such a capable machine and Lenovo to have virtualization disabled. 

At least have it enabled by default. We need a solution. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors