Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Texasradar
Paper Tape
Views: 814
Message 1 of 6

Ideacentre K410 Graphics Card Upgrade for 3 monitors, video GPU (GTX 650, GT 640)

After 2 weeks of relentless online research, telephone support from EVGA for the video card I've purchased from AMAZON last week, and finding out there is no service center listed for my Lenovo K410 Machine Type 11681DU; Operating System Windows 7 (64-bit), and what apparently was a GeForece OEM GT610 video card with dual monitor support (Dual DVI and one mini HDMI) ports, I'm lost. 

After installing the EVGA Nvidia GTX 1050, and a previous attempt at getting the GT 720 to work as well, the PC won't boot to windows. I receive a beep every 20 - 30 seconds while the Lenovo logo displays on the screen, but never boots up the PC. I've spent an hour on the phone with EGVA support techs who have urged me to contact Lenovo to find out what is happening and will the new card work with my system as I was told it would. All of the specs seem to line up perfectly.  

Strangely enough the Lenovo doesn't show any Bios Update available on the Lenovo site.  There are indications the BIOS dated March or April of 2012, was UEFI. There is no toggle or setting in the BIOS setup for anything regarding the "fixes" I've heard about including turning on/off the security boot in the BIOS, turning on/off UEFI to boot legacy BIOS, etc.  The only toggle I can find is whether or not to boot "AUTO", Intergrated Video Device, or the external PCI3 Interface. I've tried everything I know to do but perhaps I'm missing something. 

I would like Lenovo to let us know if there anything, process or update that we can do to update the K410 Bios to accept EVGA Nvidia graphics cards? Or in the case the BIOS is UEFI then why isn't the EVGA Nvidia GTX 1050 booting up?  

I'm very frustrated at this point and I've spent a lot of personal time and expense trying to upgrade my PC so that I can run 3 display monitors simultaneously which the GTX 1050 does. 

Hope to hear from Lenovo direct as well as anyone with knowledge and/or experience above. Your help is appreciated very much and in advance!

Robert. 

Mod:  edited Subject line to include a problem description; and solution

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 788
Message 2 of 6

Re: K410 Ideacentre Video Care Upgrade Information (No Service Center Within 100 miles or more)

Pretty sure I've seen threads here, that report not only is the 1050 Ti not recognized, but it's predecessor, the GTX 750 Ti is not recognized either.  One very risky option is to hack the BIOS of the graphics card, and change it's identifier to something that does work in this system.   Never done it myself, but know it's possible. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 786
Message 3 of 6

Re: K410 Ideacentre Video Care Upgrade Information (No Service Center Within 100 miles or more)

The GeForce GTX1050 is pci express version 3.

Your machine is pci express version 2.

ideacentre.JPGOem ship was NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 620, PCI Express® x16, 1GB memory, DirectX® 11,
one VGA connector, one HDMI connector, HDCP-compliant

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 775
Message 4 of 6

That's not a factor.  In fact, PCI 3.0 card in a 2.0 slot barely makes a difference on performance:

Impact of PCI-E Speed, 2.0 vs. 3.0, on Gaming Performance

If GT 620 was an option, then perhaps a GTX 650 would work. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Texasradar
Paper Tape
Views: 729
Message 5 of 6

Thank you very much for providing your input.  I'm very surprised that Lenovo isn't able to take a couple of minutes to respond as to why the bios was never updated for the K410 since 2012. Now I see why I got such a good deal on the new one I purchased back then. Sadly I cannot get Lenovo to answer me or provide information about upgrading the video card and now apparently have to send this card back to Amazon without knowing if I can upgrade from 2 monitors to the 3 monitor display I want.  I don't know if the GTX series, 620 or 650 offer 3 simultaneous display operation.  In the future I'll do better research about legacy support and why such is seriously lacking in my case. 

All I need to know is:  What modestly priced video card offering 3 monitor display (or more) will be compatible with my Lenovo K410 Ideacentre. It shouldn't be this hard to have an engineer retrieve the product design, bios capability and subsequent information and let me know if what I want to can be done, and what card makers products appear to be compatible at this point. 

Again thanks and if anyone else has input please feel free. I'm clueless at this point. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 722
Message 6 of 6

Confirming that GTX 650 & Ti are supported.   GT 640 DDR5 (memory - giving these cards 2x the performance of DDR3 cards) would be the best option for 3 video ports using the stock power supply. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors