Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
basgoossen
Paper Tape
Views: 5,361
Message 1 of 20

Ideacentre K450: control fan speed

Dear Community,

I recently bought a Lenovo Ideacentre K450 and an additional SSD with that. I had to reïnstall windows to the SSD, since it was not possible doing this with the build in or included software and media i used different install media for windows 8. This however has the consequence that the factory installed utilities like Power Control Switch and so on are not installed anymore.

For me this is not really a problem, however there is one problem. All the fan's in the system seem to be running maximum speeds as if they are not controlled in any way. Is ther any software that can control fan speeds for the K450 available? I tryed speedfan, however it does monitor the speeds it does not accieve to control it.

Another solution whould be to get back the normally pre installed utilities, is there anywhere where they can be downloaded?

dandandan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,274
Message 2 of 20

Re: Ideacentre K450: control fan speed

Hi,

Glad you asked the question. I am experience the exact same problem Smiley LOL I haven't been able to find any information on it for the past week.

I thought that the CPU was overheating so I got speedfan app to check temps and the CPUTIN temp was jumping all over the place reaching 126c.

I paniced when I saw this but I've since figured out that this is phyisically impossible. I then got CPUID to verify temps and the CPUTIN temp was jumping around but the core temps were cool. I read that this is a faulty reading and no reflection on actual CPU temp

The fan revs up in sync with the crazy CPU temp so I don't know what to do.

Can you check to see if you see the same weird CPU temp?

I disconnected the Power Control Switch which may have something to do with it.

Here's hoping we get a solution. Don't want to have to send this machine back.

Thanks,

Dan

K_450
SCSI Port
Views: 4,688
Message 3 of 20

I wouldn't be without Power Control Switch and switch software for sure. So if you can't get Power Control Switch and switch software any other way working, then i would go back to settings where everything worked. That's sure!  Robot wink 

Highlighted
basgoossen
Paper Tape
Views: 4,682
Message 4 of 20

Well actually there lays part of the problem, that is impossible. Since i had to do a clean installation of windows on the ssd, the original recovery partitions are gone. The recovery memory stick does not work, and lenovo refuses to provide the drivers and software. So it is not possible at all to go back to a situation where it works. I'm very much dissapointed in Lenovo for this matter, and although i do like the pc it's definitely the last Lenovo product for me.

BTW. I found a way to control the fan speeds in the end with a program called speedfan, it took some time and crashes to get it to work, but now it finally does. It's a pity that it does not work when started automatically in windows 8, it just freezes. So i have to start it manually. The Power Control Switch now only a gadget for changing the light color of the case...

K_450
SCSI Port
Views: 4,672
Message 5 of 20

Ok i understand and you did not made image backup from factory state? Cat Sad

basgoossen
Paper Tape
Views: 4,669
Message 6 of 20

Well actually i did, but it does not work without the recovery partition on the hard drive. Yes i know it is rediculus. So also if your drive crashes forget about the lenovo software. They are not providing it without a complete new computer, which is absurd, and the media you can make with the working installation does not work without the original drive... So the 32gig memory stick you need to provide to do the image, is still worthless...

K_450
SCSI Port
Views: 4,636
Message 7 of 20

Sorry for the delay of reply basgoossen. So you mean that even USB recovery drive did not work? 

KennyJ
Punch Card
Views: 4,441
Message 8 of 20

I had the same issue with SSD an Windows 8.1.  Lost the software upon fresh install.  Took me 4 days to find a way to reverse engineer it.  I did this on my K430 but might work on a K450 if you have 64 bit OS.  Anyone wanting to give it a try can post back to me.  This will require some work on your part.

dandandan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,423
Message 9 of 20

Hi KennyJ,

Thanks for the reply. Smiley Happy I've actually almost gave up on this issue. Had to stop using the PC as my wife said the sound was driving her mad!

I would be very interested in knowing how to resolve. I have an SSD too but I haven't used it yet.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Daniel

KennyJ
Punch Card
Views: 4,407
Message 10 of 20

The SSD was quite a problem for me.  Took me over two weeks (off and on) to get it done.  Mostly because I was converting to GPT and trying to figure out that issue.  I didn't take notes so I can't be any help there.  The SSD is real quiet and fast.  Only way to go.  The one that came installed is now my secondary D: drive now.

Best as I recall, I did a fresh install of W8 on the SSD to get it set up.  Then I restored my backup that I made to the SSD.  That copied all the software and system.  Then I had to do a repair to get it to boot again.  Might had to do fixboot mbr as I think the repair didn't do it. 

Are you running 64 bit OS?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors