Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GS61
Paper Tape
Views: 233
Message 1 of 8

Ideacentre K450 desktop can't maximise screen resolution of graphics card (GT 635)

I recently had a database software upgrade which now requires a better screen resolution to optimise it. My desktop came with a GeForce GT 635 graphics card, which on the NVIDIA website is stated to support screen resolutions via VGA of up to 2048 x 1536 (more than I need) but yet when I check my NVIDIA control panel screen it shows a maximum resolution of 1360 x 768 which is too low for my upgraded database software package. 

I then thought that perhaps the GeForce driver might not have been updated so I downloaded the latest update from their website but all that has done is to no longer recognise the LG monitor I have plugged in (which it did before) and has not changed the options available on the NVIDIA control panel screen.  I need a minimum of 1280 x 1024 but would be happy with more than this. My screen is an LG Flatron W1946 but I would be happy to buy a new, bigger one, if I can be sure the graphics card will support the improved screen resolution!

Does anyone know why there is this discrepency between what NVIDIA say this graphics card is capable of supporting and what I am actually getting from my desktop?  Many thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 211
Message 2 of 8

Re: Ideacentre K450 desktop can't maximise screen resolution of graphics card (GT 635)

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Are you sure about the monitor's model number?  The closest LG monitor I can find specifications for is the LG W1946S-BF.  

If the monitor I found is indeed one in the same with the one you own,  the resolution limitation is caused by the monitor.  The W1946S-BF model has a maximum resolution of 1360 x 768.   Getting a newer monitor with a higher resolution will expand the capabilities of your graphics card. 

For reference, here are the W1946S-BF specifications from LG......

https://www.lg.com/us/business/commercial-display/it-products/desktop-monitors/lg-W1946S-BF

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

GS61
Paper Tape
Views: 207
Message 3 of 8

Re: Ideacentre K450 desktop can't maximise screen resolution of graphics card (GT 635)

Thanks so much for your quick response. The monitor looks like it is the same one as mine (though I can't find any model number other than W1946 on mine) but I have tried plugging in my son's screen which works at 1280 x 1024 with his computer and still got the lower resolution. I had thought that the screen was the problem until I tried this, just to check, and was about to buy a new one and then discovered on the NVIDIA website the information about the graphics card that I have in my computer which suggests much better resolution levels. I just can't understand the difference between what my computer graphics card is saying is its maximum and what the manufacturer's website states should be the maximum!

I don't want to buy a new screen only to find there is an additional problem or two or three by which time I may have spent as much as buying a whole new computer. As you can probably tell I'm not at all experienced in these matters!

Any other possible explanations or suggestions would be most welcome - thank you in advance.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 205
Message 4 of 8

The resolution problem with using your son's monitor on your system maybe driver related.  If your system does not have the latest monitor drivers for your son's display, it may not be able to achieve the higher 1280 x 1024 resolution even though your graphics card can support it. 

Try plugging in your son's monitor and then boot up the computer.  Once it is fully booted, check Windows Update to see if Microsoft is offering a newer monitor driver for you to install.  Hopefully there will be one available to install.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

GS61
Paper Tape
Views: 201
Message 5 of 8

Thanks - I will try that in the morning and report back. I've just looked up when I got the monitor (its older than the Lenovo computer) and amazed myself that it dates back to 2011, so no wonder it can't cope!

Really appreciate your help.
GS61
Paper Tape
Views: 176
Message 6 of 8

You were right Majestic - solution found. I tried my son's screen again and was prepared to download driver updates but the second time I connected it I could get full screen resolution for my sons screen (1920x1080). So my GeForce graphics card is completely fine - as NVIDIA says it should be. I then ordered a new screen (went for the ACER B226WL 22 inch as I didn't want full widescreen and it stated it could give resolution of 1680x1050 which is more than enough for this upgraded database software). The new screen arrived today but when I connected it I couldn't get the improved screen resolutions. I wasted about 2 hours calling first Lenovo technical support and then ACER technical support both of whom tried to blame the other, the refresh capabilities or the cable I was using to connect them. But in fact all it took was restarting the computer and for some reason second time round it recognised the new screen properly and worked!

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 174
Message 7 of 8

You are more than welcome.  I am glad to hear you were finally able to obtain the screen resolution you needed.

Thanks for posting back with an update!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 165
Message 8 of 8

GS61,  I was thinking about the difficulty you had in trying to get your desktop to recognize a new monitor.  I was wondering if you have your system set to Sleep or Hibernate instead of fully shutting down when you turn off the computer?    If you do,  when the desktop wakes up, it was most likely missing the change in monitors and just continued on as it did before.   If Windows was fully shut down, on the cold boot,  the operating system would automatically check the available hardware for any changes and then make the necessary adjustments or driver install for the new monitor.   Just a thought. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors