Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-01-2009

Phoenix, AZ

10 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 5

K100 boot hang after reformat HDD

2009-07-01, 13:49 PM

I was running out of space on the C: drive so I decided to resized my C: and D: partitions and reformatted them. This of course was before I saw this forum.

Now, when I try to reboot, the machine hangs after the PXE boot loader screen. The machine will not boot from the Recovery Disk CD or a Vista Install CD unless I physical disconnect the SATA HDD cables (power or data). After HDD cables are disconnected, the system will boot from the CD but will not install Vista. The original recovery partition on the HDD (18 gb) has not been touched.

I tried multiple boot order settings, SATA drive configurations etc with no success.

When I reboot from Vista CD (disconnect followed by reconnect of the HDD cable), I can use the command prompt under the Repair this computer option and see, format, and even use the C: drive. S0, the drive seems functional. DiskPartt allows me full access to the 320 GB HDD.

Assuming that I was dealing with a MBR issue, I tried to wipe it using several different tools (mbrwizard, bootrec etc). 

I am running out of ideas of how to get this 'heap of iron' back up.

Is purchasing a new retail HDD a likely fix (from a store, not lenovo - for example, 500GB WD5000AASK) or am I dealing with a different issue? Is there any lists of recommended drives or drives to avoid?

I am stuck, and would really appreciate any idea's others may share.

Thanks!

Options

49 Posts

04-27-2008

Birmingham AL, USA

436 Signins

4560 Page Views

• Views: 4560
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: K100 boot hang after reformat HDD

2009-07-02, 3:17 AM
I wish you the best of luck. My own skills are weak but there are a lot of possible solutions posted on these pages but you may have to dig.
Have you tyied to resize C drive to its original size and then use one key recovery. If you did not back up on another drive you will loose lots of stuff you have added.

If nothing works the best thing you can do is take the hardware out of the lenovo case and build you own system, You cannot do worse that Lenove.
Then you can fill the case with dirt and use it as a planter.

Tom
3000 K-100 3gigram, 500gigHD,
type 10005
model 57061330
Last support case # wn018143
Options

4 Posts

07-01-2009

Phoenix, AZ

10 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2009-07-07, 17:45 PM

Thanks Tom!

I was able to restore back to the original Vista by using the one key restore. 

Options

6 Posts

02-03-2009

Los Angeles, CA

21 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 4 of 5

2009-07-09, 17:57 PM

Were you able to use the One-Key Recovery on the repartitioned C drive?

I am running out of space on the C drive and need to add space to it.  Unfortunately I do not have the Vista bootup disks and I am out of warranty. 

John Zwiers 

Message Edited by Zwierdo on 07-09-2009 10:58 AM
Options

4 Posts

07-01-2009

Phoenix, AZ

10 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2009-07-09, 20:20 PM

Here's what I believe had to do (I'm doing this from memory).

1. I partitioned my C: drive to 30 Gbytes (30720 MB) using a Vista install disk

2. I partitioned my D: drive to 200 Gbyte (204800 MB) using a Vista install disk

3. I restarted the machine and pressed the OneKeykey on the keyboard when Lenovo logo came up.

4. After a few seconds went by, the Lenovo OneKey restore application came up. I followed directions to restore from restore partition to the C: drive.

5. The C drive was restored from the restore directory. The process took about fifteen minutes. The restore left me with two partitions, a C: drive at around 29.2 GB and a D: drive around 19 GB. After the restore was done, the C drive had about 19 GB available. While this did bring my machine back to life, it wasn't the solution I was looking for. It doesn't take long to fill that 19 GB up (especially with kids).

7. I found another thread on this forum 'Disk Partitioning and OneKey Recovery Feature' and followed the directions by 'JCP message 61 of 97' that basically states how to extend the C partition by deleting the D partition and using Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management to extend the disk.

8. I extended the C drive to 128 GB  and re-installed SP1 and SP2. I am now happy!

Hope this helps! 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms