Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bassplr19
Paper Tape
Views: 1,976
Message 1 of 7

K300 RAM Upgrade

What RAM can I upgrade this system to? I have the 5316-2HU, which is nowhere on Lenovo's website.

I looked at the RAM already in there, there are two 2GB DDR3 sticks, 1333 MHz, 240 Pin. 

I want to add 2X "Kingston Technology ValueRAM 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM SR x16 Desktop Memory KVR13N9S6/2"

I put the two new sticks in the empty slots and it wouldn't boot. Took out the two original sticks and replaced them with just the new sticks, also wouldn't boot. Replaced with originals and booted just fine.

bassplr19
Paper Tape
Views: 1,968
Message 2 of 7

Re: K300 RAM Upgrade

Note: also recently upgrade the CPU from the E5800 to an E8600

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,948
Message 3 of 7

hi bassplr19,

Looking inside the K300, there seems two pairs of slots that are color coded (for dual channel).

Since you have two identical RAM (capable of dual channel), can you try to remove the stock RAM and insert the ones you bought in the blue or light green slots and observe.

- Link to picture

I checked the specs on the RAM that;s preloaded on the K300 and the difference is with the CAS Latency

Sample RAM:

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1439872901

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1465069292

Kingston RAM:

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KVR13N9S6_2.pdf

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

bassplr19
Paper Tape
Views: 1,938
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the quick response.

The stock RAM is Sharetronic SN312NH08HAF which I can't find any information on.

Crucial says this RAM is compatible:

• DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 256Meg x 64 •

The specs on the RAM I bought is:

• DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 256Meg x 64 •

From what you're telling me and what else I'm reading, this RAM should probably work. My coworker suggested I try 1 stick at a time.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,931
Message 5 of 7

hi there,

Yes the RAM that you purchased should work.

In addition to trying the RAM individually and on different slots, can you follow the image below in inserting the RAM:

If the additional RAM still doesn't work, try to use a pencil eraser to clean the gold contacts on the RAM then test it again.

Sample video

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

bassplr19
Paper Tape
Views: 1,926
Message 6 of 7

I'm returning the RAM, appreciate the help.

JohnDeB
What's DOS?
Views: 296
Message 7 of 7

bassplr19 is probably long gone by now and this machine is at least 8 yrs old, but I was having the same probem and finally figured it out so I thought I would post the answer here in case anyone else might need it later.

First, don't believe everything you read on the Internet. I also looked for the right memory specs for this machine and the first post I found gave me the wrong specs.  Here are the right ones......

https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ideacentre-k300-53162au-intel-174-pentium-174-dual-core-e5300-2...

DDR3 SDRAM - non ECC

PC3-8500 1066 MHz

(note: I think you have to look closely at your configuration number, i.e. '2AU' in my case)

The original configuration came with 3GB on 2 DIMMs (1GB & 2GB).  The machine has four memory slots and these were installed in the grey slots, not the green slots. Initially I got memory with the wrong memory specs.  When I installed this memory in the green slots (open ones) the machine would just power up (fans came on) but nothing was ever displayed on the screen.

Then after I got the right memory it initially did the same thing.  So, I simply replaced one of the originl DIMMS with a new one.  This worked.  The screen came on and I went directly to BIOS setup.  Then I replaced the other DIMM (1GB) with a new one (2GB).  This also worked.  Then I inserted the original memory into the alternate slots (the green ones) and the machine finally accepted all 7GB of memory.

The only thing I can figure is that the machine doesn't like it if there are modules in the second slots (the green ones) and the modules in the first two slots are not similar.  With the non similar modules in the second two slots (1GB & 2GB) the machine is happy.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors