cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FactoR
Paper Tape
Views: 701
Message 1 of 4

K430 - keyboard layout changed => problem with Power-On/BIOS password. Can't boot

Hi, my keyboard layout seems to have randomly changed on my Lenovo Ideacentre K430.

If I didn't have a power-on/BIOS password set up on that machine, it wouldn't be a problem, I could easily find out what layout is being used from the log in screen and switch back to my preferred layout, or use the virtual keyboard.

Not so lucky: I can't boot, get to a login screen or terminal window and I'm running out of standard keyboard layout examples.

I tried:

1. different wireless and wired mechanical keyboards. Some special characters I need are not recognised (i.e. I hit a special character key and it does not register. All standard characters and numerical pad input seem to register OK with all keyboards I tried though).
  2. typing in the password looking at different keyboard layouts online, but many special characters require to use SHIFT in other layouts, which is not a key you can use for BIOS passwords.
  3. clearing the password through resetting the jumpers (no result, regardless of how long I switch from standard position Pin 1&2 to Clear CMOS position Pin 2&3, which I tried countless times for each jumper individually and then for both simultaneously. Why the motherboard has 2 Clear CMOS jumpers and why using them makes no difference is a mystery to me)
  4. removing the CMOS battery. It makes no difference either, even when removed overnight (i.e. way longer than the 30 sec recommended) and whilst the jumpers are on Clear CMOS position)

If anyone has had the same issue and fixed it, I'd really appreciate if they could share their knowledge. I don't have a spare tower to install my hard drive in Smiley Sad

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 676
Message 2 of 4

Re: keyboard layout changed => problem with Power-On/BIOS password. Can't boot

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of the password dilemma you are in.  Removing the CMOS battery will usually clear the CMOS and remove all BIOS passwording on a desktop model.  When the battery was removed with the machine unplugged from the wall did you press and hold the power button for 20 seconds or longer?   Pressing the power button will help dissipate any remaining electrical charge on the motherboard and clear the CMOS.  Otherwise some components can hold a charge for a while. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

FactoR
Paper Tape
Views: 664
Message 3 of 4

Hi Majestic. Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I've pressed the power button countless times, until I had cramps in my finger...

The motherboard has now spent 2 nights without the CMOS battery and the BIOS password still has not cleared.

One method to clear CMOS I read about indicates that one should power on the PC for 10 seconds with the jumper (or apparently 2 in my case) moved to pins 2 and 3. However, when moving the jumpers to those pins (whether individually or one at a time), my computer does not power on. It only does so when the jumpers are on pin 1 & 2. Is that normal behaviour or is that a sympton of a different problem, not just my keyboard layout settings having gone funky?

I also read that BIOS passwords can sometimes be stored on the hard drive. Could it be the case for the K430 series? (I don't think it is, else what would be the point of having Clear CMOS jumpers? I hope I'm right!)

Finally, do you know whether it's normal to have 2 Clear CMOS jumpers for that model, and whether they are supposed to clear the same thing (BIOS settings)?

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 661
Message 4 of 4

I'm not an owner of your model and the documentation for the K430 model is rather lacking in detail in regards to the CMOS jumpers.  I did a little search and found another discussion that refers to a second CMOS jumper so apparently there are two CMOS jumpers with the K430.  Message #15 in the discussion I have linked below explains how another member was able to clear the CMOS.  Hopefully that information will help resolve your issue as well. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/Restoring-Video-setting-in-the-K430-BIOS...

The only BIOS related password that would be stored on the hard drive would be a hard drive password if that option is available for the K430 and one was set. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors