Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blitzmann
Paper Tape
Views: 245
Message 1 of 4

K450e hangs at Lenova splash screen

I have a Lenova K450e, Machine Type 10181 and MTM 57328802.  I know this only from my original packing list, as any attempt to boot up hangs at the Lenova splash screen.  Originally on Windows on 8.1, I migrated to Windows 10 several months ago.  Worked fine Friday, unable to boot on Saturday (November 26th).  I did not see whether an update occurred, and the power off on Friday did not indicate updates were pending.  Cannot access bios.  Function keys do not respond.

I saw on the news that servers were experiencing the same problem after an update, but naturally my machine is not listed.  Nor would I have any idea how to update/install anything on this machine in its current state.  HELP.  I do not need a brick at this time.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 219
Message 2 of 4

Re: K450e hangs at Lenova splash screen

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing.  From what you have described I suspect your problem is related to hardware rather than with the operating system.  A simple way to check is disconnect the hard drive and see if the computer will boot up.  With the hard drive disconnected it removes the operating system entirely from the boot cycle.

I would suggest clearing the CMOS just to rule out that there isn't a conflict with the information stored in the CMOS.  To clear the CMOS, just unplug your computer and then remove the round CMOS battery from the motherboard.  The battery's socket should have a little tab that when pressed will eject the battery from the socket.  Once the battery is removed, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the motherboard.  Once done, reinstall the battery, plug in and see if it will now boot up. Upon reboot the computer will update the CMOS with fresh information.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

blitzmann
Paper Tape
Views: 213
Message 3 of 4

I will try what you have suggested, but later when I'm home.  But in the meantime, let's assume the system gets past the Lenovo (sorry I keep typing Lenova) screen, it would mean I have a bad boot sector or bad hard-drive?  Can I go back to previous configuration through the bios?  I have to ask all of this since I can't remember the last time I was in the bios.  And if my hard-drive is bad, how do I access the recovery partition?  Command prompt?  I'll have to dig around and see if I made the recovery discs.  I guess I'm not sure that if I had to reinstall a new bootable hard-drive whether I'd be able to get all the drivers and OS again.  Ugh.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 195
Message 4 of 4

If the machine boots without the hard drive attached then that could be an indication there is a problem with the drive or it has failed completely.  If that were the case, I would try installing the drive in another computer as a slave drive to see if it can be accessed.  If it can be accessed, it would be a good time to run some diagnostics on it to check the health of it.  You maybe able to still clone the drive to a new one if it is accessible. Likewise if the drive is healthy, your problem could be with the drive's cables.  If there was a problem with the boot sector, the machine would have attempted to boot from it and displayed an error message which it did not do. 

If the drive needs to be replaced and you have the recovery disks you can then use those to restore the new hard drive.  If you don't have the recovery disk, but have Windows 10, you can download that operating system from Microsoft and install it.  You would however have to visit Lenovo Support and download all the various drivers for your model and install them. 

If the machine doesn't boot with the hard drive disconnected, you have another hardware problem.  Clear the CMOS first.  If that doesn't work then disconnect the remaining hardware and remove the memory to see if it attempts to boot up.  With the memory removed it may beep.  If it does, install one memory module at a time and try booting to see if it comes to life. You can even try the memory module in each slot.  If it does boot then continue installing hardware until the no boot returns which indicate the last item installed was the problem.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors