JP

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 5

Legion Y920T-34IKZ CPU at 100C immediately and performance slow

2020-09-03, 4:06 AM

Hello,

I have a Legion Y920T-34IKZ and have been using it for about 3 years. (Still have about 4 months on warranty.  I sent an email to Lenovo, but no reply.)

Recently it has been really sluggish and the fan has been loud.  I cleaned the dust and put my hand near the CPU but it didn't feel hot.  The back fan is spinning normally.

All of the Lenovo diagnostics came back OK.  But when I looked at the sensors, it said my CPU was at 100C.  I turned it off for a while and checked temperatures after turning it on and they almost immediately went to 100C.

So, I'm guessing that the system thinks it is overheating and throttles the performance...?

Could the liquid cooling on the CPU be broken?  Is the sensor on the motherboard faulty? How can you tell?

Thanks!

Options

724 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

78 Signins

4408 Page Views

• Views: 4408
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Legion Y920T-34IKZ CPU at 100C immediately and performance slow

2020-09-03, 7:56 AM

Hi,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum community!

So, since the unit doesnt feel hot, but feels sluggish, slow, i would suggest doing a factory reset, to see if this solves the issue, if not, then i would call support.

Here are the instructions:

To do a factory reset, first you will need to make a backup of your important files to an external USB storage unit, or to an online drive.

Then you need to turn off your laptop completely, by holding down the power button for 10 seconds.

To initiate the factory reset, you need to push the tiny button located (Go to pcsupport.lenovo.com search with your serial number, then select pane "Knowledgebase and Guides" Then find the user manual and locate the Novo buttons placement in the manual), You can use for example, a paperclip to press it, after  

you have pressed the button, the laptop will power on, and present a small menu, use the arrow keys to select factory reset, and press the  

enter key to select. Now follow the on screen instructions.

alternative:

Download the below application, and create a bootable installation media for Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

when installing, and you are asked for the serial key, press the text that says "I do not have a key" then let it continue to install, then update drivers,  

and do a full windows update, then reboot, and your computer should be registered with the OEM key, since it is embedded into the computer

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

09-03-2020

JP

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-09-03, 8:15 AM

Since it is not a laptop, what would I push?

Doing a factory resent would mean losing EVERYTHING on the drive (all installed software, settings, files, etc), correct?

Are there no better diagnostic tools than "delete and restart"?

Options

724 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

78 Signins

4408 Page Views

• Views: 4408
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-09-03, 8:31 AM

The biggest issue is windows.

Alot of issues that i see is because of windows updating a driver, with a generic one, or windows changing some settings, somewhere, and so many things change, that its impossible to track what the culpit could be, in general i recommend disabling windows from updating drivers, since it saves so many headaches.

You could try reinstalling chipset drivers, power management drivers, gpu drivers etc, so see if this changes anything.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

09-03-2020

JP

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-09-07, 11:16 AM

Sending it in was too much of a hassle so I took a guess it was the AIO.... and was right!

I bought a Corsair H60* and replaced the original and it brought temps down to 30C area for regular use.  Yay!

*Note: The original radiator was rounded to fit the Lenovo case and the Corsair radiator didn't fit.  Had to change the order of the fan and radiator, so not ideal but is working anyway.  So, if you have the same issue, be warned the radiator area of the case seems to be non-standard and a replacement may not fit.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete