08-11-2019 08:29 AM
I ran the updater today and it shows I need to do a Flash Bios update V530-15AAR. I downloaded and ran the program and it failed. Restarted and ran it again and it failed a second time. What do I need to do to get the Flash Bios update to install.
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-13-2019 08:03 AM - edited 08-13-2019 08:05 AM
Is the download getting unpacked into the correct default drive path location C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\O3TJYnnUSA?
At up to what point or how far into running the the flash utility are you getting before failing?
Also, from a lesson I learned first hand do not try and force update the motherboard BIOS ... most likely would lead to a bricked system.
08-13-2019 09:05 AM
The update downloads fine then starts the installation process. At the end of the installation process I get a message saying it didnt install and to restart my computer and try again.
I searched, but cannot find the file that you reference. Also I don't know what the name of the update file is as it does the process automatically when I click on it.
08-13-2019 09:20 AM - edited 08-13-2019 09:51 AM
The infomation referenced is from the 510A README under Flash Under Operating System.
Edit: I see for the V530 there are a few download choices which one are you using?
08-14-2019 06:53 AM
I have the tower, not the all in one. As far as what file I am downloading, I don't get to see the file. With the Lenovo updater program, when I check the box to do the update, it downloads and installs the file for me. I also received a message this morning from the updater that I am using an old version. See attached. How do I fix that? I am not very computer literate when it comes to this type of installation and trouble shooting so please include any instructions from a beginners level. Thanks for your help.
08-14-2019 07:10 AM - edited 08-14-2019 07:48 AM
Okay good thing I asked.
First thing take a look and read this info below,
Flash Under Operating System
1. Please make note of any settings you have changed in the BIOS Setup utility. They may have to be re-entered after updating the BIOS. (disregard unless you have made any)
2. Click on the Start button and type cmd.exe. Right-click on the cmd.exe application and select run as administrator to open the Command Prompt with Administrator privilege. (this should automatic happen after the download completes)
3. In the "Command Prompt" window, change to the directory where the above files were extracted. The command to go to the location is "cd C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\O3TJYnnUSA", where "nn" represents the two digit flash level.
4.Enter the command "flash.cmd" and press the Enter key to start the flashing process.
5. You may first see a confirmation prompt "Proceed with BIOS update now?". Click "Yes" to continue.
6. You will see the prompt "Would you like to update the Serial Number?". Input "n" and press Enter.
7. Then you will see the prompt "Would you like to update the Machine Type and Model?". Input "n" and press Enter again. Then the BIOS update process will start.
8. The update may take up to 2 minutes. Do not power off or restart the system during this procedure! After the Windows update process ends, the system will automatically reboot to continue the flash process.
9. After the system reboots, the BIOS update process will continue with a simple graphic UI. When the BIOS update process ends, the system will reboot automatically.
The BIOS update process ends with above nine steps.
Edit: The above can also be found on the BIOS update page and could be helpful to make and printout a cheat sheet.
Than forget about using Lenovo Update or Vantage go to the support page for some or all updates.
But here for convenience is the BIOS update O3TKT46A released 24 Jul 2019.
Edit2: After the BIOS is updated you can safely remove C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH from the hardrive as it is no longer needed.
08-14-2019 08:03 AM
That worked. Thanks for including the download link and instructions. I also got the AMD problem resolved with the search and install program from the AMD site. So at this point everything is fixed and working ok. Thanks for all your help!