Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-19-2019

United States of America

3 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo 510A Unable to Boot to BIOS to Reset to Factory Settings

2019-01-19, 19:25 PM

I am going to list in bullets to get the main setting stated before asking how to fix it...

1. My friend has a Lenovo 510A desktop he bought used.
  2. Prior Owner died.
  3. We do not have a password to login to Windows 10.
  4. Unable to boot to BIOS using F12 to reset to factory settings.
  5. Can boot to UEFI Settings with F1 but that does not allow for factory reset.
  6. Tried installing LUPU, Ubuntu, and Lubuntu via a bootable USB Thumbdrive.
  7. Not enough memory on HD to download the USB OS.
  8. Pressed Shift from login screen as I restarted, Selected boot from USB option, was able to get Lubuntu - Live to open but was not able to access BIOS from there via a command prompt (I do not know enough to do this). I searched for the way to do this and was unsuccessful.
  9. In the Win 10 menu to reset the desktop, there is no option to reset to factory settings, and I remember there being an error about no disk in which to recover from.
  10. I booted in Legacy and not enough memory to download OS from USB.

I am really at a loss here. So, here's my question...

How do I recover to factory settings when I cannot access the F12 Boot menu, and do not have a password to access the System through the Start Menu?

I am now at a point where I want to wipe the HD and install Ubuntu and opensource OS and software, but I do not even know where to begin with wiping the HD to do that.

Please help. I am so lost, and just trying to help my friend. Besides, this is driving me crazy. I have always figured this stuff out before and this is a puzzle I MUST figure out or I will go nuts!

Thank you for any and all useful solutions to my problem. I am not a professional, I am just a normal person wading in deep waters...

Options

1 Posts

01-24-2019

Malaysia

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo 510A Unable to Boot to BIOS to Reset to Factory Settings

2019-01-24, 14:23 PM

Same here but with a lenovo yoga 330 11igm(windowns 10)  and  i need the .bin BIOS but i cant find the file anywhere.....

Options

1 Posts

10-10-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Lenovo 510A Unable to Boot to BIOS to Reset to Factory Settings

2020-10-10, 17:22 PM

I bought a Lenovo 510A.  First thing I did when I got home was to remove the hard drive, and replace it with a working 2 TB drive that already had Ubuntu installed.  I started it up, and it said there was no operating system present.  I suspect you will need to get into the BIOS and remove some restrictions before you can install Ubuntu, but I am not really sure.  I ended up having to reinstall the original 1 TB drive, and run the pre-installed Windows 10 spyware.  Fortunately, I was able to go into the UEFI through Windows 10 spyware, and adjust the setting to allow Ubuntu.  Then I put the 2 TB drive back in, and it works great!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)