Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kfh777
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,040
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo H415 has slow wifi to internet

My Lenovo H415 desktop Internet connection is slow.  Speedtest.net reports 60Mbps from the ISP to my laptop with ethernet wired connection to Netscape Nighthawk router.  The laptop and our HP desktop report wifi transfers of 25-30 Mbps.  The Lenovo on same wifi network reports about 6 Mbps transfers in and out.  OS is Windows 10.  

Where do I look for this machine's sluggish behavior?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,022
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo H415 has slow wifi to internet

I had a similar issue with my system, and restarting my WiFi router fixed the ridiculous slow connection that you are seeing, but it still was about 10 Mbps slower than normal since updating the the Creators Edition.   I found a solution that worked for me, which started with downgrading the device Driver for my WiFi adapter, and then running the following commands to disable RSC, and changing the MTU value from the default of 1500 to 1400.

Note   My WiFi card is a Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC, and I was able to downgrade the driver by using an older WiFi driver stored in the C:\Drivers folder, which contained the installers for the older driver versions.

Windows 10 Creators Edtion WiFi speed fix

• Right Click on Start, and select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows Powershell (Admin)  (the latter is the default in the Creators Update version)
  • Next you need to run the following command to obtain the name of your WiFi interface:  netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface     

Note:  Mine was just called Wi-Fi, but yours may be different

• Next type: netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1400 store=persistent   replacing the part between the quotes in blue with the name of your WiFi adapter obtained earlier.   and press Enter

• Next type:  Disable-NetAdapterRsc -Name Wireless Network Connection  and press Enter  (Again replacing the part in blue with the name of your wireless adapter if not Wi-Fi

Command Examples assuming your adapter is also listed as Wi-Fi

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wi-Fi" mtu=1400 store=persistent

Disable-NetAdapterRsc -Name Wi-Fi

Note:   You can restore the defaults by typing the following.

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1500 store=persistent

Enable-NetAdapterRsc -Name Wireless Network Connection

Good Luck,

kfh777
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,009
Message 3 of 5

Wow!  Thanks for the immediate response.  I'll think about that for a while.  I have the same problem posted to the Netscape router forum since the router setup page also reports 63Mbps available from the ISP while running wirelessly.

Ken

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,999
Message 4 of 5

Yeah, I had no problems with the router, and all other devices not on windows 10 creators edition had no problem with speed either.

I should have mentioned also that Microsoft considers slow WiFi problems in Windows 10 Creators Edition an emerging issue, and is the source of the MTU & RSC workarounds.  

I expect that there will be a Windows Update at some point that will address it too, but when is unknown. 

Good Luck 

kfh777
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,973
Message 5 of 5

Re: Lenovo H415 has slow wifi to internet - Solved

I replaced the Premiertek Wireless Adapter I have been using with a new Netgear N600 Dual Band Wireless N Adapter and instantly achieved 66Mbps download and 6Mbps upload.  

Thanks to all for the patience of reading my situation and providing comment.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors