Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flupheh
Paper Tape
Views: 3,295
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo H50-50 GPU compatibility

Recently, I bought a Lenovo H50-50 from Currys. I decided to buy this particular PC because the CPU, RAM and HDD have great speed and storage for regular gaming and home office use. I am upgrading from the Geforce GT 705 (1GB), Lenovo H50 case and 280W PSU to the MSI Geforce GTX 960 (4GB), NZXT Phantom 820 case and the Corsair RM 850W PSU. The reason, I am upgrading the case and PSU to such a high quality is because I am futureproofing them.

May I ask if the GPU is compatible with the motherboard. I see a PCIe 2.0 slot where the GT 705 is mounted and the PCIe 3.0 GTX 980 will fit fine. However, I'm still not sure if the GTX 980 will fit due to the heatsink below the PCIe slot.

Thanks.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,267
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo H50-50 GPU compatibility

hi Flupheh,

Welcome to the Forums.

The highest GPU that I've seen to work with the H50-50 is the GTX 750Ti as disccused in this thread and if the mobo can take this card, it's likely that it can also take the GTX 960.

As for fitting the card, you're right. From this H50-50 motherboard, the HSF of the GTX 960 may hit the mobo chipset (PCH), especially if you get the twin frozer version (i personally have this GPU on a custom gaming rig but it's the ASUS GTX 960 Strix).

In addition, the motherboard uses a 14-pin ATX power connector so you will need to get a 24pin to 14pin cable (like this item) for the Corsair PSU to work.

If you're already decided to upgrade the unit then the only way to know is to try it out and re-assembly the mobo on the new case but in case it fails, you can salvage the CPU and use an aftermarket H81 or higher mobo that supports the CPU.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Flupheh
Paper Tape
Views: 3,261
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply! 

philws
Paper Tape
Views: 1,744
Message 4 of 7

Readers of this question may be interested in my comment in another thread on this site.

Flupheh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,735
Message 5 of 7

Hello again, small update on the system, it's been a while. 

I upgraded the GPU a while ago and I completely forgot about this post. I replaced the 705 with an Asus GTX 950 LP Edition and it fits and works fine after moving the hard drive into the other HDD bay. I've worked out that I've still got 80W to spare when the GPU is at load and optical drive inactive. I don't tend to use the optical drive a lot anyway. I also installed the ASUS Xonar DGX but that's only because of my new speaker system. I will upgrade the RAM to one of Corsair's 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600MHz kits, then probably somehow mount an SSD in there somewhere then finally I plan to upgrade the CPU to an i7-4790k at a later stage since is still supports the LGA1150 socket I've got in the motherboard. Eventually, I will replace the motherboard to a Z97, power supply to a 500W and case at the same time and then plan ahead on upgrading to my high end build.

So I wrote this to confirm that without any need for other new parts, an Asus GTX 950 LP Edition (GTX950-2G) (https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/GTX950-2G) will fit and operate in this system (and a PCIe 1x sound card below it). I am also fairly sure the GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti will operate fine as along as they fit.

TraylerTrash
Paper Tape
Views: 1,472
Message 6 of 7

I upgraded my H50-50 with the Thermaltake 600W PSU (Using 24-14 pin adapter)

I also put in a GTX1060 6gb Card (with 2 fans) 

It was tight to get the card in had to move the HDD up to next slot and get a longer SATA cord.

I hope this may help someone else as I had a difficult time finding information if this would work or not.

Machine is a beast now.

RogerL
Paper Tape
Views: 1,432
Message 7 of 7

I don't understand what's going on here.  In the H50 series computers the AMD units (-55) use the 14 pin power connector but every Intel board I've looked at (-50) series uses a 10 pin motherboard connector.  The adapter is available from Amazon but from the notes on the sale site the power supply will not shut down when the computer is turned off.  Apparently the Power Good signal is hot all the time and the power supply keeps running even when the computer is powered down.  The only way to shut it completely down is to use the switch on the power supply or unplug it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors