Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thomas142
Blue Screen Again
Views: 376
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo H50-50: GTX 1660 graphics card upgrade

Hello. I've Bought a lenovo h50-50 a Year ago that had an i7-4790 , 8gb RAM and a GTX 745 graphics card. I've upgraded my RAM to 16gb and it worked perfectly. Recently i upgraded the 280watt PSU with a corsair semi modular ATX 550 watt, because for Christmas i had plans to get a new and better graphic card for my gaming needs. I had in mind this https://www.amazon.it/Gigabyte-GV-N1660OC-6GD-scheda-video-GeForce/dp/B07PDT2H55/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keyw...  it should fit dimensional wise, and with the psu replaced it should work but my fear is, will there be some incompatibilities with the BIOS or something like that? Or will it work ? Ive surfed online and I've seen some people having problems by upgrading, so i got worried and was wondering if it would work

Mod:  edited Subject line to clarify system model and add graphics card model number

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 338
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo h50 graphic card upgrade

Someone here tried a GTX 1650, unsuccessfully, despite the 1050 being a popular upgrade.  If you find a seller with a good return/exchange policy, the 1660 would be worth a try, otherwise a GTX 1070 would give similar performance. 

I highly recommend the installation of 'ventilated PCI slot covers' (similar to this, readily available) to help with the cooling of upgraded graphics cards. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Thomas142
Blue Screen Again
Views: 332
Message 3 of 11

I've read about someone with a lenovo ideacentre 720 replaced succesfully to a 1660 and maybe it could work on the h50-50 too if they have the same motherboard?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 330
Message 4 of 11

Intel versions of Lenovo 720 uses 7th gen processors - yours uses 4th gen. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Thomas142
Blue Screen Again
Views: 298
Message 5 of 11

Hello i wanted to post an update. I've installed a 550watt corsair PSU and it fit perfectly. Then i replaced my Old 745 card with the GTX 1660 and it works perfectly. The only problem is that with all the new cables and the big Graphic card the space is Running out. Is there a way to replace the case? Maybe a case that is compatibile with the lenovo sharkbay motherboard?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 286
Message 6 of 11

I'm happy to hear that.  Which specific 1660 did you purchase?  Did you get a modular or semi-modular Corsair power supply, such as the CX-M series?  This way only a couple of cables are attached besides the two required for the motherboard. 

Update:  a single fan 'Mini' card would save space, at the cost of a bit more fan noise. 

Highlighted
Thomas142
Blue Screen Again
Views: 281
Message 7 of 11

I Bought this 1660 https://www.amazon.it/MSI-GTX-1660-VENTUS-XS/dp/B07PSSLPWH/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=gtx+1660&qid=1573... and a semi modular https://www.amazon.it/Corsair-CX550-Alimentatore-Plus-Bronze/dp/B019NWRUXK?th=1&psc=1 plus a 24 to 14 pin adapter for the motherboard. Connected everything and it worked perfectly
Thomas142
Blue Screen Again
Views: 200
Message 8 of 11

Is it possible to replace the case to something bigger? My lenovo h50-50 has a sharkbay motherboard and i was wondering if there was something compatible with it but bigger

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 185
Message 9 of 11

Yes:  Lenovo H50-50 / H30-50: power supply PSU upgrade & recase (14-pin power, front panel connectors)

Thomas142
Blue Screen Again
Views: 179
Message 10 of 11

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors