Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

05-28-2015

United States of America

9 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo H50 won't boot normally but won't reset either

2017-01-07, 3:00 AM

This H50 ran like a champ -- shipped with Win 8.1, upgraded to Win 10, but today it's unable to boot normally. No problem, I thought, went straight to System Restore. But for each restore point, it was unable to complete booting. Even the Reset recovery option went halfway, then came up with "Undoing Changes" and failed to complete the Reset. In Safe Mode, most everything seems to work. But then on restart, it can't complete.

Before this failure, I was editing the "hosts" file, at my web provider's direction, to preview a website that has not gone live yet.  I carefully kept backups and restored them from Safe Mode before rebooting but something is going wrong. Any ideas?

Options

6 Posts

05-28-2015

United States of America

9 Signins

58 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo H50 won't boot normally but won't reset either

2017-01-07, 3:09 AM
(Regardless of what I try, it comes back to that screen that gives you recovery and restart options. All the options end in the same place --going back to a previous build, System Restore, etc.)
Options

2060 Posts

02-28-2012

Ecuador

1821 Signins

32448 Page Views

• Views: 32448
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-01-07, 3:25 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum.

It sounds very bad that you are stock on the recovery options. 

The only things that came to my mind are:

1) On Safe mode, open  command line with administrator priviledges. Run a "SFC /SCANNOW" to see if some corrrupted files may be fixed. It takes some time.

2) The last resort will be to download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and reinstall Windows from an USB Flash drive. And you will have to check the Lenovo H50 support site to get all the drivers.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Like" for Ego Boost !!

Options

6 Posts

05-28-2015

United States of America

9 Signins

58 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2017-01-07, 19:56 PM

Thank you! (for that suggestion, and for the pointer if Win 10 ISO proved the only way to go). And here's the amazing thing: When I turned the computer on this morning to start trying again, it booted into Win 10, system-restored to December 23! (After I gave up last night, on the very last recover-or-power-down screen, I chose to power down. I can only conclude that the cold start did *something* that needed doing.)

So -- is this a hint for others? "When all else fails, power down and cold-start instead of just restarting." (Don't want to start a superstition if that's just nonsense, but it seemed to work for me.) 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)