Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel778
Paper Tape
Views: 767
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo H530s Graphics Upgrade

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on this community, and I have a rather important question. I'm pretty new to the whole electronical (hardware) side of customizing PCs. I've done a few basic stuff like replacing ram sticks, fans e.c.t. Whilst only being new to this stuff, I really have this passion to learn more about the hardware side of a computer system.

Long story short, I'd like to upgrade my graphics card, but I really don't know how to choose one that will work for sure.

I've opened my PC up, located the graphics card and had a little look/play around just to familiarize myself with the component, so I could get a better understanding of how to choose a new graphics card, but I'm still a little stumped.

Here are some key specs of my Lenovo PC.

Power supply: 240 Watts

Current graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 720

Intel core I7

My question is how do I choose what graphics supply I can buy (Preferably in the Nvidia Geforce selection )? And how do you actually determine what graphics card would work for your PC? Does it involve something to do with PCIE slots (Can someone also explain what these are, and the difference between 3.0 and 2.0, and if you can use a 3.0 PCIE on a 2.0 slot)? 

If someone can answer these questions in an informative manner I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks allot.

Guru
Views: 765
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo H530s Graphics Upgrade

You want a graphics card that works with your 240W PSU and is a 'SFF' size. Here's the one I have, but I upgraded by PSU to a 500W. http://www.amazon.com/Asus-GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5-ASUS-Graphics-Cards/dp/B00RL2SLAG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qi...

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Daniel778
Paper Tape
Views: 755
Message 3 of 5

Do you have a Lenovo H530s also? I really want to upgrade my power supply to 500W, but I can't find one that's slim and that would actually fit inside my PC. Also thank you for showing me the graphics card you have, I've had my eye on that one, but I still don't know if it'll work with my PC due to the wattage needed.
Guru
Views: 750
Message 4 of 5

Yes, I have a H530s. I got my PSU at a local computer store. It's not a big branded power supply. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Daniel778
Paper Tape
Views: 741
Message 5 of 5

What power supply do you know of that will fit in the PC? All the ones I'm currently finding are extremely big.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors