Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doc_Ox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,891
Message 1 of 16

Lenovo Ideacentre 700 Series - Power Supply Unit (PSU) Replacement

I recently purchased a Lenovo Ideacentre 700 series desktop computer from Best Buy.  Though the performance seems to be okay, I've found one 'feature' that is extremely frustrating...the motherboard has a proprietary PSU connector.  The 725W aftermarket PSU I purchased can't be installed because the Lenovo motherboard has a 10+4 pin connector for the PSU whereas the aftermarket PSU has a 'standard' 20+4 pin connector.

Since Lenovo advertises this as an "Easy to Upgrade Powerhouse", do they sell an adapter to use aftermarket PSUs?!  If not, is anyone aware of an aftermarket solution that I can purchase?  I would think that enough people have encountered this issue that someone would offer a plug-and-play adapter cable.

I've already reviewed the following post on this forum, but it primarily desribes a solution that involves cutting wires and using a paperclip as a jumper.  It also mentions a 24-to-10 pin ATX adapter cable at a site called Moddiy, but a later post says that this adapter unfortunately doesn't work.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/IdeaCentre-700-10-Pin-Atx-Connector/td-p...

Is anyone aware of an adpater that will work?

Thanks in advance.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 11,785
Message 2 of 16

Re: Lenovo Ideacentre 700 Series - Power Supply Unit (PSU) Replacement

Hi Doc,

I wish Lenovo and other computer manufacturers would just uses standard PSU's too, it is very frustrating.

This 20-10 pin adapter would probably fit, but I cannot guarantee that the pinouts are correct.    On standard PSU's the wire colors indicate the voltage and the purpose of each wire, but Lenovo may not follow that convention, so I would call the number for Orbit Micro that sells the adapter and see if they can confirm it works, or if you have multi meter, verify the pinouts yourself.    With a little sluething you should be able to determine what needs to be where on the MB 10 pin.   

Good Luck

Standard ATX  PSU wiring scheme

Orange               +3.3v

Red                     +5v

Yellow                +12v

Black                  COMM/Ground

White                 -5v

Blue                    -12v

Purple                +5v Stand by voltage

Green                 Power Supply On    (Shorting Green to black turns on power supply)

Grey                   Power OK (sends a +5v signal to computer if DC voltages from power supply are OK)

Orbit MIcro

http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/59402010000e-p-12556.html

Doc_Ox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,771
Message 3 of 16

JD,

Thank you for the recommendation.  The adapter cable listed on the Orbit Micro website states that it's specifically for an "Axiomtek SBC84832 Motherboard".  Do you...or anyone else on this board...know the model number of the motherboard used in the Ideacentre 700?  I would think that Orbit Micro will need this info when I contact them to check compatibility.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Doc_Ox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,724
Message 4 of 16

I may not have explained the connector types very well in my original post so I decided to clarify in hopes of getting assistance.  I took photos of the connectors and socket, but it appears this forum doesn't allow photos to be embedded.

The Lenovo motherboard has a 10-pin socket ("ATX_POWER") for the power supply.  The Lenovo power supply has the matching plug (obviously) with 9 of the 10 pins on the molex connector populated.  I'm not sure if this matters, but the wire colors are Black (x4), Green (x1), Blue (x1) and Yellow (x3).

The aftermarket power supply that I want to install has a 20+4pin connector.  The 20pins are on one connector and the 4 pins are on a separate connector.  These two connectors come together to form a single 24pin connector that plugs into a standard 24pin motherboard socket.

Is anyone aware of an adpater that will convert the standard connector on the aftermarket power supply to match the proprietary socket on the Lenovo motherboard?

Thanks!

jonathoncasey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,872
Message 5 of 16

Hi Could you possibly use a combination of the Orbit 20-pin to 10-pin adapter along with a 24-pin to 20-pin adapter to use a 24-pin psu?

jonathoncasey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,847
Message 6 of 16

Doc_Ox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,803
Message 7 of 16

Thanks for the heads-up!  I've just placed an order on MODDIY for the 24-pin to 10-pin adapter cable.  I'll confirm my results in a future post after I receive and install the cable (along with the aftermarket PSU).

Lo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,585
Message 8 of 16

Did the cable work? I have the same problem.... And it's been months since you posted. I see Lenovo may not be the best c0mpany to deal with when it comes to support.

Doc_Ox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,570
Message 9 of 16

The cable from MODDIY (24-pin to 10-pin) worked like a champ.  No issues whatsoever with installation of the cable (and aftermarket power supply).  I've been using it for a few weeks now with no issues whatsoever.  I highly recommend this cable...especially compared to a cobbled together, paper clip-based solution.  Good luck!

Lo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,554
Message 10 of 16

Thanks for the feedback. Cable ordered.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors