Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boombozx
What's DOS?
Views: 2,747
Message 1 of 19

Lenovo h50-50 gtx970

I would like to upgrade my graphics card to gtx970. Has anyone tried this as it is not on the lenovo manual list. If this doesn't work, is there any other grpahics card around the same level of performance as the gtx970 that you would recommend. Do I need to change the PSU if i upgrade my gpu

Rarewolf
Paper Tape
Views: 2,550
Message 2 of 19

Re: Lenovo h50-50 gtx970

Hello boombozx, i bought the H50-50 (my girlfriend)
And i was wondering if you successfully upgraded.
I instructed her to get this pc, with a 650w psu and EVGA'S GTX970 SC,
Currently i was forced to buy the 24pin to 14 pin adapter from amazon.
It was a pain to find out lenovo does not have the industry standard.

Well what i was wondering was, if you were successful in upgrading?
And if you had any problems. Hardware or software wise.

I will probably do the change this friday (December 11 2015)
I will try and remember to post my results just incase anyone else has to go through this hassle.

My current concern is that the lenovo H50-50 has an PCI-E but it doesnt specify if it is 2.0 or other.
I am hoping they didnt go cheap in this area of the motherboard.
I did look high and low. But the only answer is PCI-E.

Wish me luck, and please.
Let me know if you were successful.
Guru
Views: 2,545
Message 3 of 19

Hey there. Your computer isn't capable of a GTX970, it requires too much power. You would need to upgrade the PSU for that

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Rarewolf
Paper Tape
Views: 2,531
Message 4 of 19

Well as long as you upgrade your PSU it is fine.

Rarewolf
Paper Tape
Views: 2,527
Message 5 of 19

So Here is the Update on the situation,

The lenovo h50-50   (######98US)

IS able to use a GTX 970, like i mentioned in my previous post my girlfriend had  "a 650w psu and EVGA'S GTX970 SC"

the PCI-E can utilize the card.

to upgrade you will need the 24PIN to 14 PIN adapter. and if you do not have one yet a monitor with DVI-D (or DVI-I) and the corresponding cable.

i installed the 970 before i even started the PC for the first time.

and it worked perfectly off of the graphics card. ( I still updated the drivers afterwards, just to be safe.)

Guru
Views: 2,517
Message 6 of 19

Great!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

philws
Paper Tape
Views: 1,970
Message 7 of 19

Hi Rarewolf,

It's great to hear you managed to install the GTX 970 card. Could you provide a few extra details on how you did so?

I had a look in the box - I think I would need to move the hard drive up to the higher connection point on the metal side bar that runs down the front third of the case. My concern is that even doing that it looks like there is only about 5-10mm clearance between where the top edge of the card would be and this metal side bar.

The following photo shows in blue the hard drive and where I think I need to move it to, and a yellow line illustrating the distance between motherboard and the metal side bar:

h50-50-graphics-card-space-small.jpg

How did you address this? Did you have to do anything else? Could you post a photo of the final install?

Cheers,

Phil

philws
Paper Tape
Views: 1,930
Message 8 of 19

Look forward to it Smiley Happy
Rarewolf
Paper Tape
Views: 1,926
Message 9 of 19

so, yes.

you are right about having to move the hard drive to the top slot.

i had enough clearance at the bottom to where i didnt have to do anything else there.

now, the only part i had a scare about was the power cables and the side panel. I did not think it would clear but if you play the wires enough to where they bend at a 90° (lightly, you dont want to break the cables, just enough to where it retains a bit of that bend.) you will have just enough clearance to place it in.

my biggest suggestion is to get a bigger case. other then that the combination of these parts is GREAT! IMG_20161127_212820.jpgIMG_20161127_212827.jpgIMG_20161127_212911.jpgIMG_20161127_212916.jpghere you can see you get about 1/2" of clearance from the case.

Rarewolf
Paper Tape
Views: 1,917
Message 10 of 19

IMG_20161127_212924.jpgyou can see here that the cables have to be forced a little.IMG_20161127_212939.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors